This Keto Pan Seared Salmon and Broccoli recipe is a super fast weeknight dinner made in one pan with a rich, creamy sauce, crisp broccoli and a bit of spice from red pepper flakes. It’s low-carb and full of flavor, and it’s part of my latest cookbook 30-Minute Keto
Why This Recipe Works
We love this easy pan seared salmon recipe and here’s why:
- You need just one pan, which means clean-up is quick as ever. Just like our one-pan creamy chicken with sun-dried tomatoes (which is also keto).
- The salmon adds a wonderful richness and is cooked to flaky perfection. If you love salmon, you must try our Seared Salmon with Avocado Salad.
- The sauce is rich, creamy and full of body, just like the white sauce in our Keto Chicken Florentine.
- The entire meal takes less than half an hour! So you have more time to enjoy.
What Goes Into This Recipe
These are the simple ingredients that go into this keto salmon and broccoli recipe:
- Salmon fillets. Leave the skin on to add extra healthy fats, flavor and texture.
- Olive oil. If you prefer, avocado oil also works.
- Butter. For extra keto-friendly fats and tons of flavor.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic is your best bet for flavor.
- Broth. You can use fish or vegetable broth for the sauce.
- Heavy cream. To add richness to the sauce.
- Cream cheese. Let this come to room temperature so it melts easily into the sauce.
- Broccoli. Cut this into equal-sized florets for even cooking.
- Fresh parsley. Basil, cilantro, or oregano would also work.
- Red pepper flakes. For a hit of spice.
Here are a few simple swaps if you don’t have all of the ingredients for this keto skillet salmon recipe:
- Use cauliflower florets instead of broccoli.
- You can use chicken breasts or thighs, or turkey instead of salmon. Just make sure to cut them into 1-inch cubes. Then cook the protein until golden and no longer pink on the inside before adding the sauce ingredients.
- For a slightly lighter cream sauce, use whole milk, light cream, or coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
- Use any herbs you like, such as dill, cilantro, or oregano, to finish the garlic butter salmon and broccoli.
How to Make This Easy Pan-Seared Salmon Recipe
Follow these steps to make a one-pot garlic butter salmon and broccoli dinner.
First, season the salmon well with salt and pepper. Then, in a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. When the butter starts to foam, gently add the salmon fillets, skin side down. Cook the fish for 3 to 4 minutes, until the skin is crisp. Then flip and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, until flaky and cooked through. Remove the salmon from the skillet.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic. Cook the garlic for about 1 minute, then add the broth and cream. Bring the liquids to a simmer. Add the cream cheese and whisk well, until the cream cheese melts and you have a smooth creamy sauce.
Add the broccoli florets to the sauce in the skillet. Cook them for about 6 to 8 minutes, until the veggies are crisp-tender and bright green.
Return the salmon filets to the skillet. Spoon the sauce over the filets. Cook for about 2 minutes, until heated through. Then remove the skillet from the heat, garnish with parsley and red pepper flakes, and serve.
Using an oil-coated non-stick pan, cook the salmon over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden, opaque, and flaky.
Salmon tastes great seasoned simply with garlic and chili flakes. However, you can use any seasonings you like. For example, a taco blend or lemon-pepper seasoning would be delicious on this keto skillet salmon.
Yes. To do so, season the salmon with salt and pepper, and rub the fillets with oil all over. Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the salmon for 4 minutes per side, or until grill marks appear and it flakes easily with a fork. Make the creamy keto sauce as directed in the recipe, then spoon the sauce over the salmon to serve.
Yes. To use leftover cooked salmon, simply follow the recipe to make the sauce. Then cook in the broccoli, and at the very end, add the leftover salmon and reheat for a minute or two.
Keep these tips in mind when making this keto pan seared salmon and broccoli recipe:
- Always use a non-stick skillet when cooking your salmon or any fish. This way, the salmon will release easily after cooking.
- Cut the broccoli into medium-sized florets, so it can cook evenly into the sauce. If the pieces are smaller, consider cooking them for less, so they don’t get soggy.
- I don’t like using frozen broccoli for this salmon recipe, because it becomes very soggy once thawed, and the texture will dramatically change once cooking it into the sauce.
- If you’re not on keto, then a splash of white wine added together with the stock would be such a great flavor boost.
More Keto-Friendly Recipes
- Keto Shrimp Scampi With Zucchini Noodles
- Keto Shrimp And Avocado Salad
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
If you made this keto skillet salmon recipe, let me know how you like it in the Comments below, Rate It, and make sure you Share It with your friends and family. And if you want to see more recipe videos like it, follow me on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. For weekly updates be sure to Sign Up for my Email List.
Keto Pan Seared Salmon and Broccoli
- 4 4-oz. (112-g) skin-on salmon fillets
- Sea salt - as needed
- Ground black pepper - as needed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 3-4 cloves garlic - minced or pressed
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) fish or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cups (160 ml) heavy cream
- 8 oz (224 g) cream cheese - softened
- 3 cups (273 g) broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp (4 g) fresh parsley - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Season the salmon filets on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, combine the oil and butter. When the butter is foamy, add the salmon skin-side down and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes, until it is browned and crispy. Gently flip the salmon and cook it for 4 to 5 minutes on the opposite side, or until it is flaky. Transfer the salmon to a plate and cover it to keep it warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and return the skillet to the heat. Add the garlic and sauté it for about 1 minute, or until it is fragrant.
- Add the broth and cream and bring the mixture to a simmer. Stir in the cream cheese with a whisk, mixing the ingredients until the cream cheese starts to melt into the broth and transforms the mixture into a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the broccoli and season the mixture with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook the broccoli and sauce for 6 to 8 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and bright green.
- Return the salmon to the skillet and spoon the creamy sauce over the filets. Cook the salmon in the sauce for 2 minutes, or until it is hot. Remove the skillet from the heat. Sprinkle parsley and red pepper flakes (if using) over the salmon and broccoli, then serve.
- You can make this easy pan seared salmon recipe with grilled salmon or cooked, leftover salmon.
- If you’d like to use different vegetables, you can swap out the broccoli florets for cauliflower florets, asparagus, green beans or chopped bok choy.
- To know that your salmon is done cooking, check that the internal temperature reaches 145°F/63°C.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, use a fork to check your salmon for doneness. It should be firm and flake easily.
- Store any leftover salmon and broccoli in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. You can reheat the leftovers on the stove or in the microwave.
*This post may contain affiliate links