Creamy Chicken with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce is a super easy, low carb one-pan dinner that takes less than 30 minutes. This easy keto chicken recipe is packed with flavor from garlic, Italian seasoning, sun-dried tomatoes, and a rich, creamy sauce.
Why This Recipe Works
This is one of the best keto chicken recipes. Here’s why we love it:
- It’s made in just one skillet! Like this One-Pan Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce.
- The sauce is rich, creamy and luscious. If you love cream sauces, you have to try our Creamy Garlic Butter Salmon.
- The chicken has a beautiful golden-brown crust on it that’s crunchy and packed with umami.
- This quick and easy dinner takes less than 30 minutes to make, just like this Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
What Goes Into This Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this pan seared chicken breast in creamy sauce:
- Chicken breast. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Italian seasoning. You can use store-bought dried seasoning or make your own blend with dried basil, oregano, marjoram and parsley.
- Sun-dried tomatoes. Choose oil-packed so you can use some of the flavorful tomato oil in the recipe as well.
- Sweet onion. You can also use a red onion if that’s what you have.
- Garlic for added flavor.
- Heavy cream. If necessary, choose lactose-free heavy cream.
- Parsley. For a hit of fresh garnish on top.
It’s easy to swap out the ingredients to use what you have when making this easy keto chicken recipe. For example:
- To remove the dairy, swap the heavy cream for 50/50 mixture of coconut cream and full-fat coconut milk. This will make your recipe lactose free.
- You can add about 1/2 cup tomato pasata to your sauce and stir to combine and get that nice pink color. Then return the chicken into the sauce and continue to cook.
- You can add goat cheese to your sauce, just before returning the chicken to the skillet. Goat cheese will give a flavorful bodied taste.
- Crumbled bacon on top is the ultimate thing for this recipe. Or any recipe to be honest 🙂
- Artichokes or chopped spinach are also great additions to the sauce. We have similar recipes for Keto Artichoke Chicken and Keto Chicken Florentine
How to Make Pan-Seared Chicken Breast in Creamy Sauce
This is a fast and easy 30-minute dinner recipe. Here’s how to make it:
First, season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Next, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, gently add the chicken. Sear the pieces for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until they’re starting to brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the onion, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes to the empty skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat. Add the cream, and stir. Then return the chicken to the skillet and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.
Sprinkle the dish with parsley and serve!
I think that pan-searing your chicken for this recipe is great because you can use the same pan to cook the chicken and make the sauce.
But grilled chicken is the next best option. If you find it easier, or have some leftover grilled chicken, just make the sauce and add the grilled chicken to it. Then let it simmer for a couple of minutes to reheat.
Very easy! Simply use dairy-free cream or replace the heavy cream with a 50/50 mixture of coconut cream and full-fat coconut milk.
To make it paleo, you first need to make it dairy-free. Do this by using full-fat coconut milk, cashew, or almond milk. Before you add the milk to the skillet, whisk in about 1 tablespoon of unmodified potato starch. This will help the sauce thicken.
To make the sun-dried tomato sauce spicy, add sriracha sauce or chili flakes, to taste
Keep these expert tips in mind when making this creamy pan-seared chicken breast recipe:
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. This will allow it to reach room temperature to ensure it stays juicy while cooking. If you cook the chicken (or any other meat) directly from the fridge, the outside will overcook and dry out by the time the inside is fully cooked.
- Make sure your chicken breast is fully cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your chicken breast, but also the heat of your stove and even the pan. The best way to know when the chicken is cooked fully is by inserting a meat thermometer in the center of each breast. It should read 165°F/ 75°C. If you don’t own a meat thermometer, then check there’s no pink meat by cutting your chicken breasts in half and ensure that the juices run clear (you can pierce the meat with a sharp knife).
- This dish is perfect with a side of Low Carb Keto Bread.
Related Keto Recipes
- Keto Shrimp Scampi With Zucchini Noodles
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Keto Filet Mignon with Mushroom and Mustard Sauce
If you made this easy keto chicken recipe, let me know how you like it in the Comments below, Rate It, and make sure you Share It with your friends and family. And if you want to see more recipe videos like it, follow me on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. For weekly updates be sure to Sign Up for my Email List
Keto Creamy Chicken with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 4 5oz / 140g each chicken breast - boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- sea salt and ground pepper - to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes - plus 1 tablespoon oil from the jar
- 1/2 sweet onion - diced
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) heavy cream - lactose-free if needed
- 2 tbsp (8g) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato oil
- Sprinkle the chicken breast with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle the pan with the sun-dried tomato oil.
- Add the chicken and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, or until it starts to brown. Set aside on a plate, and cover to keep warm. We’ll be cooking it later on into the sauce.
- To the preheated skillet, add the onion, garlic and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Saute for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the heavy cream. Return the chicken to the pan, and simmer into the sauce until cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- I prefer pan-searing the chicken for a one-pan meal. But you could also use grilled or leftover cooked chicken for this recipe.
- Use medium heat to just simmer the cream. If it boils too much, the cream could become too thick.
- Feel free to add greens such as spinach or artichokes to the dish for added flavor and veggies.
- Check that your chicken is fully cooked with an instant-read thermometer, which should read165°F/ 75°C.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, you can slice into the chicken. As long as it’s no longer pink and the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked.
*This post may contain affiliate links