This easy chocolate zucchini bread recipe is gluten-free, takes just 15 minutes to prep, and you can make it for breakfast, snack or dessert.
Today I’m going to show you how to make a super easy and healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe.
It’s easy because it takes just 15 minutes to prep and then you can just let it bake for up to 45 minutes. And it’s healthy because I made it with gluten-free oat flour, honey, and coconut sugar, which are healthier alternatives to regular sugar.
And I know you might be tempted to say that chocolate chips contain sugar, but don’t rush there, as I used sugar-free chocolate chips. Furthermore, all the ingredients in this easy chocolate zucchini recipe comply with the Clean Eating diet, so it’s safe to say that our gluten-free chocolate zucchini bread is really as healthy as possible.
And that’s not all…
More Delicious Breads:
The best thing about this easy chocolate zucchini bread recipe is that you can make it for breakfast, snack or dessert. It’s really quite versatile.
As a snack, you can serve it in-between meals, or at parties. But I’ll tell you more about how and what to serve with it in the tips and tricks below. I’ll also tell you how to make it moist, how to prepare the zucchini, which ingredients can be replaced and more.
So keep reading if you want to make the best chocolate zucchini bread in the world.
How To Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Should you peel the zucchini when making chocolate zucchini bread?
Zucchini’s skin can sometimes have a mild bitterness so it’s best to taste it first. If it’s not bitter, you don’t have to peel the zucchini, just cook it as is, according to the instructions.
If it is, peel it and test again. After peeling the zucchini, the bitterness should go away but if it’s still there, I suggest you don’t eat it as it might cause you cramps.
2. How to prepare the zucchini for chocolate zucchini bread
First, you need to wash it thoroughly and pat it dry with a paper towel. Then grate it with a grater or a food processor that has a grate tool installed.
Then, take a handful of the shredded zucchini, squeeze it to get some of the moisture out, and mix it with the rest of the ingredients as in the recipe below.
3. How to make super moist chocolate zucchini bread
This gluten free chocolate zucchini bread has a perfect texture, moist but not soggy.
For one loaf, I used a medium-large zucchini which even after squeezing it dry, still had plenty of water to make a super moist chocolate zucchini bread.
Another trick is to use coconut oil instead of butter.
And most importantly, start checking the bread after 25-30 minutes because different ovens can heat food differently so it’s very easy to overbake it, which is one of the most common causes of drying the bread.
What I am saying is that if my oven needed 45 minutes to bake this gluten free chocolate zucchini bread, yours might do it in 35. That’s why it’s best to start checking after 25 minutes of baking.
To test it, insert a toothpick into the middle of the bread and if it comes out clean or with just a touch of melted chocolate, remove it from the oven right away. Do this test more than once to be 100% sure.
Keep in mind that the gluten free chocolate zucchini bread will continue to bake for a short while after you remove it from the oven. So if you’ve done the toothpick test a few times and you’re 100% sure that it’s done, remove it immediately, don’t let it one minute longer.
Now that you know how to make super moist chocolate zucchini bread, let’s see which ingredients can be changed, or added.
4. Which ingredients can be changed in this easy chocolate zucchini bread recipe
I love cooking with coconut oil, but if you don’t or it’s not easily available, you can replace it with vegetable oil.
As you probably know, coconut sugar is a healthier alternative and that’s why I used it but you can replace it with brown or regular sugar.
Furthermore, you can remove either the cocoa powder or chocolate chips, but not both. They are a really great addition in terms of taste and flavor.
I used gluten-free oat flour which is much healthier and full of nutrients and I highly recommend it. However, I know that it’s not always easily accessible so you can replace it with regular flour if that’s what you’ve got in your kitchen.
I usually buy gluten-free oats and ground it with my Vitamix blender, or a food processor, and I recommend you do the same. This way, you can make it exactly how you like it: really smooth or with a little bit of texture.
Now let’s see what you can serve with this healthy chocolate zucchini bread.
5. How and what to serve with it
If you serve it for breakfast or as a snack, this gluten free chocolate zucchini bread goes perfectly with tea, hot chocolate, cocoa or coffee.
For lunch, serve it with fresh fruits or a light salad and here are some great ideas:
- Avocado Tuna Salad
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- Shrimp Salad With Lettuce And Roasted Veggies
- Chicken Caesar Salad With Crispy Chickpeas
You can also serve this gluten free chocolate zucchini bread for dessert. Just heat up a few slices and add a spoonful of vanilla ice cream on top. YYYuuummmm!
That’s it for today, my dear foodies. By now you should be more than ready to make this healthy chocolate zucchini bread recipe, so let the fun stuff begin.
Fire up the ovens and get ready to make the best chocolate zucchini bread ever.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. If you like this easy chocolate zucchini bread recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Easy Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil - melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 medium-large zucchini - (squeezed dry)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour (ground rolled oats)
- 1/4 cup Psyllium husk powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup dark mini chocolate chips (use sugar free if needed) - plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Shred the zucchini and squeeze it dry, then add it to the egg mixture.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan and sprinkle with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-45min, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
- Let it cool on a cooling rack, then slice and enjoy!
- Taste the zucchini skin first and if it's bitter peel the skin off. See more at Tip #1.
- See how to prepare the zucchini at Tip #2.
- See how to make super moist chocolate zucchini bread at Tip #3.
- You can replace the coconut oil with vegetable oil, the coconut sugar with brown or regular, and the gluten-free oat flour with normal flour. See more at Tip #4.
- You can serve this healthy chocolate zucchini bread for breakfast or snack with tea, coffee or cocoa, for lunch next to a salad, or as a dessert by adding a spoonful of ice cream. See more at Tip #5.