How to make vegan tacos that taste better than their meat-loaded peers.
But I need to tell you the reason behind this shift.
I recently decided to change my diet and eat 80% vegetarian and vegan, and just 20% meat.
More Vegetarian Recipes:
Now you’re probably wondering what influenced me to take this decision. After all, this can’t be easy when you cook and make food videos for a living, right?
Well, it’s not. At least not from the start.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not advocating for full veganism because I think we still need the proteins and nutrients found only in meat.
However, studies have shown that high consumption of meat can lead to many diseases, obesity and a lower quality of life in general.
So after doing a bit of research, I came up with this 80/20 ratio which I believe will help me keep a balanced diet.
But when I started looking for vegan recipes I found that many of them lacked taste (many were utterly bland) and some were even unhealthy.
Make no mistake, vegan doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. It all comes down to the ingredients you use. For example, highly processed soy meat is certainly worse than high-quality meat.
So even though 6% of Americans are now vegan (compared to 1% in 2014) and the trend is increasing worldwide, the variety of healthy and delicious recipes is quite thin, especially compared to other diets.
That’s why I started making more vegetarian and vegan dishes. I did it in the hopes of keeping a healthy diet, but I also wanted to help fill up this gap (as it badly needs some taste and flavor :)).
I could go further into details about it but that’s not the purpose of this post, although, it is a discussion to be continued in a future, in-depth article.
The purpose is to show you my contribution to veganism and how you can eat more healthy without giving up taste.
And for this, I came up with the best vegan tacos recipe and I will show you how to make it in a bit.
But first, let’s go through the usual tips and tricks.
How To Make Vegan Tacos – Best Tips & Tricks
1. You can make vegan tacos with any roasted or grilled veggies.
One of the reasons why I call it the best vegan tacos recipe is flexibility. You are not bound to one or two ingredients which you might not even like that much.
You can choose your favorite veggies, and here are the ones that fit best:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Brussels sprouts
The trick is to cut them into bite-sized pieces and season generously.
2. If you can, make the vegan tacos with fresh tortillas.
I can’t stress this enough. Fresh tortillas are much better than store-bought.
You can warm them in the microwaves or in the oven until they are easily foldable. Then stuff them with your favorite veggies, but don’t overdo it because they will scatter all over the place and get messy when you’ll eat the meatless tacos.
3. It’s not a taco without salsa
If you want to make the best vegan tacos, you need to top them with a delicious homemade salsa.
This is very easy to make and you have plenty of options to choose from. Here are the ones I like best:
- Tomato salsa, also known in Mexican cuisine as Picco de Gallo. It’s made of fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, coriander, a squeeze of fresh lime and a few drops of olive oil.
- Green salsa dip. This one is almost the same as the above. The only difference is that you need to use tomatillos instead of tomatoes. Everything else stays the same.
- Fruity salsa (my favorite). This one has a sweet citric flavor and the best fruits to use are mango, pineapple, kiwi, peach, and avocado.
And if you really want to make the best vegan tacos recipe you need to add guacamole. This one is easy to make as well and such a great flavor booster.
All you need is ripe avocados, salt and a bit of lemon juice to help balance the taste.
Of course, you can add more ingredients if you want, like chopped cilantro, chiles, onions or tomatoes.
These will certainly be an improvement but if you don’t want to spend much time on it, just stick with the first version as you can’t go wrong.
These are my secrets for making the best vegan tacos recipe.
But as you probably know, in foodies world, best can always be beaten. So if you know some other tricks that would make it even better, by all means, please leave them in the comments or on my Facebook page.
This recipe is my tasty contribution to veganism and you will start seeing more like it on my blog.
I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I do, and I can’t wait to hear your opinions about them and about this diet.
And if you would like to see more recipe videos like the vegan tacos, please Subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Best Vegan Tacos Recipe (With Cauliflower And Mango Salsa)
- 1 cauliflower head - chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper - to taste
- 12 tortillas
- 1/4 cup pickled red cabbage - (optional)
Ingredients for Mango salsa:
- 1/4 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 jalapeño - finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion - finely diced
- a small bunch of cilantro/mint - finely chopped
- 1/2 lime - more if needed (to taste)
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F / 180C and place the cauliflower on one large baking sheet.
- Add oil, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt, and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Roast for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl add all salsa ingredients. Mix well to combine, then set aside.
- Warm up tortillas in the oven directly on the hot oven racks until pliable.
- Add a generous portion of cauliflower into each tortilla and top it with mango salsa.
- Garnish with pickled red cabbage and lime wedges Enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links