This easy creamy pumpkin soup recipe is one of the best fall recipes ever. I made it with roasted pumpkin and it came out super tasty and flavorful, and believe it or not, it’s vegan.
Today I am going to show you how to make an easy and creamy pumpkin soup with roasted pumpkin. This is one of my favorite fall recipes because it’s so comforting and just perfect for when it gets chilly outside.
Plus, it’s a great holiday recipe, whether it’s Thanksgiving or Christmas.
And that’s not all…
This creamy pumpkin soup recipe is also vegan. That’s right, none of those eggs, cheese, meat or other animal products.
Now, if you are not vegan, you might wonder whether this is actually tasty, right? I know that’s what most carnivores wonder about vegan recipes all the time.
Well, I don’t wanna brag or something (yeah, right 🙂 ), but I think it is one of the best pumpkin soup ever.
More Soup Recipes:
That roasted pumpkin and spices made it incredibly flavorful and super tasty. Also, the coconut milk brought its own distinctive flavor and made it so creamy.
And then raw cashew brought in healthy fats and protein to make this vegan pumpkin soup more filling and nourishing.
Plus, I’ve included in the recipe below some optional toppings which are truly game-changers.
So I am sure you’ll love it even if you’re not vegan.
By now, you’re probably rushing to the kitchen to make this easy pumpkin soup recipe. But hold on for a few more minutes, because I want to give you some useful tips that will help you make the best pumpkin soup recipe ever.
So without further ado, let’s see how to make pumpkin soup easy and creamy.
How to make pumpkin soup easy and creamy – Best Tips & Tricks
1. What pumpkin is best for soup.
In theory, all pumpkins are good for soup because uncooked, their content is pretty much the same, right?
But in reality, some are better than others because after you cook them, their texture will change.
Also, their flavors are slightly different. Sweet, smooth-textured pumpkins are better for soup, while other kinds are better for casseroles and roasting.
I made this creamy pumpkin soup with Queensland blue pumpkin but there are others, very similar types, which you can use instead.
And here are some that are perfect for soup:
- butternut squash
- golden nugget
Now that we know what pumpkin is best for soup, let’s move on and see how to cut one for this purpose.
2. How to cut pumpkin for soup
There are 2 ways of cutting a pumpkin for soup:
- Into large chunks. First, place it on a sturdy chopping board and cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and peel, then cut it into large chunks.
- Into wedges. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then cut each half into 0.5in wedges, using a sharp knife. This works best for smaller pumpkins.
You can apply these two methods for roasted pumpkin soup or if you want to skip the roasting part and make it with fresh pumpkin.
Although I have to say, roasted pumpkin soup is way tastier and more flavorful than fresh pumpkin soup.
That’s because the pumpkin gets kind of caramelized when roasted and its flavor is enhanced. So if you have to choose between the two, then by all means, go for the roasted pumpkin soup.
3. What spices go with creamy pumpkin soup
Spices are an important ingredient in many dishes and that goes for this vegan pumpkin soup recipe too. They can take food from ‘meh’ to ‘yummy’ and that’s exactly what they did for our dish.
Here are some of the best spices for creamy pumpkin soup:
- smoked paprika
Now let’s move on and see…
4. What goes well with roasted pumpkin soup
This vegan roasted pumpkin soup is very nourishing and filling so I served it as a main. But I know many of you are greedy foodies and one soup is just not enough for you.
If you want to make it more filling, you can use the Parmesan croutons I used in this tomato soup. This won’t be vegan anymore but it will certainly fill up your tummy.
And if that’s not enough and you want to serve it with some other dish, here are some that go well with roasted pumpkin soup:
- Any baked or cooked fish (like Baked Salmon and Veggies)
- Whole Roasted Chicken or Turkey – this is an amazing Thanksgiving menu
- Slow Cooker Ratatouille – an excellent meatless menu
5. Adjust this easy pumpkin soup recipe to your taste
If you want to adjust the flavor of this easy pumpkin soup recipe, you’ll need to tweak the spices to your taste or replace them with your favorites.
But for maximum taste and flavor, you have to try the following optional toppings: toasted coconut flakes, coconut yogurt, fresh ground black pepper, chopped roasted cashew, or fresh thyme.
Start by adding just a small amount of any of the optional toppings, then taste and add more if needed (to your taste).
These are real game-changers in terms of taste, flavor and texture. It just enhances everything and makes it better.
Great, now you know everything about this easy pumpkin soup recipe so it’s time to see how to make it.
And after making it, don’t forget to snap a few shots and post them on Insta with the hashtag #blondelish and tag @theblondelish.
Also, if you like this vegan pumpkin soup recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Easy Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 lb (900g) pumpkin - deseeded, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 1 medium carrot - diced
- 2 celery stalks - sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves - skin on
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup raw cashew
- 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil - divided
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper - to taste
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- toasted coconut flakes, coconut yogurt, fresh ground black pepper, chopped roasted cashew, fresh thyme. etc
- Preheat the oven to 360F/180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the pumpkin and garlic cloves in, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil, then, with your hands, mix to coat.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fork tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pot and saute the onions together with carrots and celery, for 3-4 minutes, until they soften. Add in the cashew and pumpkin, then squeeze in garlic from its skin.
- Pour the stock in and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cumin and cinnamon powder, then stir to combine.
- Using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with your desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Best pumpkins for soup: butternut squash, golden nugget, Jap, Cinderella, Queensland blue pumpkin
- You can cut the pumpkin into large chunks or wedges.
- Best spices for vegan pumpkin soup: cinnamon, nutmeg, smoked paprika, cumin. You can change and adjust them to your taste.
- You can serve this vegan pumpkin soup with other dishes like whole roasted chicken or turkey, any baked fish, or ratatouille.