Learn how to make creamy roasted tomato soup at home and forget about the unhealthy canned version. It may seem a bit more effort, but keep reading and you’ll see just how easy it is.
Something unusual happened to me today.
I made a creamy roasted tomato soup and a shrimp salad and I was so eager to gobble them up, but after having one plateful of soup I told my hubby he can have the salad and I am going to finish the soup.
It’s worth pointing out here that I am not a huge soup fan and this is why it’s so unusual for me.
So you can imagine how good it was if it converted me that easy.
And the good news is that I wrote the recipe down and made a video of it, so I am going to show you how to make the same delicious and creamy roasted tomato soup.
I know you might be tempted to get a canned one from the store instead because it seems less of an effort. But think about it for a second.
Do you really know what’s in that can, or how processed those ingredients are?
And how long does it take to go to the store, come back and then heat it up? It’s probably more than 30 minutes, right?
So instead, why not make homemade tomato soup?
You know exactly what you put in it, it’s 100% healthy, a lot more delicious, and easy to make.
And there’s more.
You can make a large batch and freeze it so the next time you’ll want homemade tomato soup it’s going to be even easier.
Oh, and did I mention it’s also vegetarian?
Yup, it really has it all. Now you understand why I couldn’t stop eating, right?
And in case you are wondering whether tomato soup fattens, I did a bit of research and found that if you don’t exaggerate and eat it the right way it can actually help you lose weight. (oh, and you need to see its benefits)
How cool is that?
By now you are probably wondering if I am a shareholder in some homemade tomato soup company and if I am trying to pitch you their product to increase sales 🙂
Trust me, I am not. I’ve just become an advocate after tasting it and now I am spreading the word.
And I will soon show you just how easy it is to make creamy roasted tomato soup, but first, let me give you some helpful tips and tricks.
How to make homemade tomato soup (with fresh tomatoes) – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Use a blender to make it faster.
I used a hand blender, but you can also make it with a normal high-power blender or food processor. This will cut down the time and make it super creamy.
If you don’t already have one, you can find some very good blenders on Amazon.
2. Make tomato soup with fresh tomatoes and smoked paprika.
I know canned ones are more accessible, but in terms of taste, nothing beats fresh tomatoes (especially the ones from grandma’s garden, right?). And that goes for any dish that has tomatoes in it, not just the soup.
Another trick you can do to enhance flavor is to add smoked paprika. This will make your homemade tomato soup slightly smoky (yuummmyyy)
3. Make a large batch.
You can make this easy homemade tomato soup in large batches and store it in air-tight containers, in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
Also, you can freeze it in serving portions and store it for up to 3 months.
This way you can use it for meal prep and you will always have a quick meal whenever you are in a rush.
4. What goes well with roasted tomato soup
I made it with Parmesan croutons and it was filling and nourishing but if that’s not enough for you, here are some of my recommendations.
5. And lastly, a few more little tricks that will make the whole difference.
- You can replace the Parmesan croutons with thick grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Use any herbs you have available and here are some of my favorites: fresh basil, thyme, oregano, parsley.
- If you want to make it vegan use vegetable broth or almond milk and replace the Parmesan in the croutons with its vegan version.
I think I have covered everything about this creamy roasted tomato soup recipe, so you know what time it is, don’t you?
It’s time to take out the guns (hand blenders, of course) and freakin’ make it ’cause we are all craving by now.
And if you would like to see more yummy recipe videos, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 kg / 2 pounds mixed tomatoes - cut in halves
- 1 small sweet onion - quartered
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil - extra virgin
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tsp dried basil
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper - to taste
- 1 1/2 cup milk - (or use vegetable broth for a vegan option)
Ingredients for garlic parmesan croutons:
- 100g/4oz sourdough bread - cut into 1cm /0.4'' cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil - extra virgin
- 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese - (replace with vegan parmesan cheese)
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper - to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400 degrees F.
- In a large baking sheet place tomatoes, onion and garlic. Drizzle olive oil, then sprinkle seasonings (dried basil, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper). Transfer to a rack in the middle of the oven and roast for about 20-25 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to char and release their juice. Then let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the cubes of bread in a bowl together with olive oil, Parmesan and garlic powder. Stir and toss to get them evenly coated. Spread the croutons out on the baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) and bake them on a high shelf in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
- Transfer the roasted tomatoes and their juices to a soup pot and add in the milk (or vegetable broth). Puree until smooth, then taste and season again with a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with croutons, parmesan and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links