This roasted smashed potatoes recipe will make you forget about french fries or any other side dish for that matter.
Today I’m going to show you how to make my favorite side dish, roasted smashed potatoes with garlic and parmesan.
Mmmm, you’re probably craving just by imagining it, right?
And I have to tell you… it’s even better than it sounds!
They are so good that it actually made me forget about French fries and trust me, that’s quite an achievement.
You can have them as a side, but they are also great as appetizers or snacks, especially if you have a party or family get-together.
As for the level of difficulty, well, you already know how I like my food, don’t you?
Super tasty and easy to make, of course!
And this roasted smashed potatoes recipe fits perfectly within my standards.
It takes just 5 minutes to prep and 40 to browse my Insta feed while they bake.
How’s that for a quick, yummy side dish?
Now, I am sure you have some questions about it, like what to serve them with or whether you can tweak the recipe like any creative foodie would do.
Hence, I am going to tell you a few tricks that will help you get the best of this roasted smashed potatoes recipe.
How to make roasted smashed potatoes with garlic and parmesan – Best Tips & Tricks
1. How to smash them
You can do it with a potato masher but if you don’t have one, use a small bowl with a flat bottom.
Don’t press too hard because you’ll flatten them completely. You want them at about half an inch thick.
2. Try different toppings and herbs.
I topped these garlic smashed potatoes with parmesan but you can change that with your favorite cheese. Almost all kinds of cheese fit perfectly.
And here are a few good ideas:
- Blue Cheese
More than that, you could also change the herbs. Try it with thyme, oregano or Italian spices.
Any of them will make them crazy delish.
Oh, and you can also throw some crumbled crispy bacon on top which will add tons of flavor and texture.
3. What to serve with garlic smashed potatoes.
Well, I could make an endless list here because they are perfect with so many dishes. This is one of the things I love most about them.
But I will keep it short and just list a few of my favorites:
4. What sauce should you serve them with
I served these parmesan smashed potatoes with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chopped basil.
I highly recommend that!
But if sour cream is not your cup of tea, you can try any of the following:
- Homemade Basil Pesto
- Tomato Sauce
- Garlic Mayo
- Tzatziki Sauce
If you follow the tips and tricks outlined above, you will surely make the best roasted smashed potatoes ever.
Now, I don’t want to keep you any longer, as I am sure you can practically feel the taste of garlic parmesan in your mouth.
So let’s wrap it up and fire up the ovens, shall we?
And if you like this smashed potatoes recipe and would like to see more videos like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Roasted Smashed Potatoes With Garlic And Parmesan
- 2 lb (900g) baby potatoes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 Tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp chili flakes
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper - to your taste
- 1/4 cup (25g) grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sour cream - (optional)
- a small bunch of fresh chopped basil - (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F and spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil.
- Place the potatoes in a large stockpot and fill it with water, just enough to cover them.
- Bring it to boil then lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until they are fork tender, then drain.
- Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet, making sure you leave some space between them.
- Using a potato masher, press down in the middle and smash the potato lightly; repeat the process for all of them.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with herbs and garlic.
- Spoon the oil mixture over potatoes then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Then, you need to sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese and return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chopped herbs.
*This post may contain affiliate links