You can make this easy shrimp fried rice recipe in just 20 minutes. It’s healthy, super delish and perfect for meal planning.
Today’s delish is one of the best shrimp fried rice recipes ever. And you may wonder why I consider it the best, after all, we all have different tastes when it comes to food. What’s good for me doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s good for somebody else, right?
Well, let me answer that. This homemade shrimp fried rice is healthy, tasty aaand… wait for it… it takes just 20 minutes to make.
Now let me ask you something. Isn’t this what we all crave for when it comes to food? So yeah, I guess it’s safe to say that this is one of the best shrimp fried rice recipes.
And there’s more…
More recipes with shrimps:
This homemade shrimp fried rice is one of the best recipes for meal planning. I’ll tell you more about that (and much more), in the tips and tricks below. I will explain to you how to season shrimp for frying, what goes with shrimp fried rice, and why it’s healthy.
So keep reading if you want to learn how to make the best shrimp fried rice recipe.
How to make shrimp fried rice at home – Best Tips & Tricks
1. How to season shrimp for frying
The seasoning is very important because it is what makes this dish tasty. So it must be super flavored.
That being said, keep in mind that you don’t need to go overboard with it. Actually, you should keep it simple and here are two very easy, yet flavored, seasonings for shrimp:
- The very easy one: grated garlic, ginger and chili flakes, a pinch of salt and pepper
- The easy one (which you can also use for Chicken Fajitas):
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp sea salt
1/4 Tbsp fresh ground pepper
Add all seasonings to a small mason jar, place the lid on and shake to combine. You can keep this seasoning mix for up to 3 months and use as needed.
You can use these two shrimp seasonings even if you make it with some other side dish than fried rice.
Now that you know how to season shrimp for frying, let’s see what kind of rice goes with shrimp.
2. Rice that goes with shrimp
Generally, fried rice is made with medium to long grain white rice. But I wanted a healthier version so I replaced it with brown rice. It works wonderfully and it has many more nutrients.
So if you want to make shrimp fried rice, you can make it with both white and brown rice (whichever you like or is most available). Just make sure to cook it to al-dente and chill it before frying it in the pan.
But if you want to cook the rice differently which rice should you choose?
Well, let’s see…
Short to medium grain rice is best for risottos. So if you’re making a shrimp risotto that’s what you should go for.
Wild rice is perfect in salads so if you are making a shrimp salad, that would be your best option.
Now that you know what kind of rice goes with shrimps, let’s see how to do meal planning with homemade shrimp fried rice.
3. This homemade shrimp fried rice is perfect for meal planning.
My New Year’s resolution is to do meal planning more often and this is the perfect recipe for that.
I love coming home after a long day to open the fridge and find home-cooked meals stacked up just waiting for me to reheat them and indulge. Don’t you love that too?
The plan is to allocate 2-3 hours once or twice a week to prep a few delicious meals, portion them into ovenproof glass containers and stack them in the fridge. It helps with my gym routine and this way I won’t be tempted to eat unhealthy foods or snack all day long because ‘I didn’t have a proper meal’.
It also saves a lot of time because I cook everything in just a couple of hours, instead of doing it daily.
And I promise to share my delish meal preps with you, my dear foodies and trust me, you’re going to love them.
So make a large batch of shrimp fried rice and place it in airtight glass containers, then refrigerate them for up to 3 days. You can serve it cold or warm, it’s great both ways.
And I am suggesting glass containers because if you want to reheat them you’ll just have to throw one in the oven or microwave. If you use plastic containers, you’ll have to place it in an ovenproof dish first and then reheat it. A bit more effort and twice the dishes to wash.
And this is why I consider it the best shrimp fried rice recipe. Because it’s flavored, adjustable and great for meal planning.
Now let’s see how you can tweak it to your taste.
4. Tweak this easy shrimp fried rice recipe to your taste
You can substitute the basmati rice with cooked quinoa or wild rice. White rice will do too but as I said before, I always prefer the healthier version.
As for the veggies, you can change them with your favorites like onions, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc. Just make sure to chop them into small bite-sized pieces so they’ll cook fast and evenly.
Moreover, you can also add beaten eggs to make it more consistent. And If you want to make it vegan, leave the shrimp out and add more veggies or even crumbled tofu.
More Vegan Recipes:
And now let’s move on to see the last reason why this is the best shrimp fried rice recipe.
5. Is shrimp fried rice healthy?
Homemade shrimp fried rice is healthy because you have control over the ingredients. Unlike the ones in restaurants, you can make it with loads of fresh veggies, just a small amount of oil and you can replace the white rice with its brown version, which is much healthier.
Homemade food is usually healthier than the one in restaurants exactly for this reason.
And there’s more…
Shrimp fried rice is low in saturated fats which keeps the heart healthy and provides a good amount of protein. Moreover, it is packed with vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, vitamins A, K, and E (according to LiveStrong.com).
Looking at that, I’m sure we can safely say that this is one of the best shrimp fried rice recipes.
So that’s about all my dear foodies. That was everything you needed to know about this easy shrimp fried rice recipe. Now all you have to do is make it, then take a photo of it and post it on Instagram with the tag @theblondelish to show it off.
And if you like this recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 lb (450g) shrimps - peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsps vegetable or olive oil - divided
- a pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves - grated
- 1'' (2.5cm) fresh ginger - grated
- 1 tsp chili flakes - or to taste
- 1 large carrot - peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 1/2 cup snap peas - cut in half
- 5 Oz (140g) Shimeji mushrooms
- 2 cups basmati brown rice - cooked
- 2 Tbsps soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsps sliced green onions
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shrimp, garlic, ginger, chili and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimps turn pink. Set aside.
- In the same heated skillet, add the remaining oil, then the carrots, snap peas, bell peppers and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the rice and soy sauce and cook for an extra 2-3 minutes.
- Return the shrimps to the pan, and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.Enjoy!
- For meal planning, divide the shrimp fried rice between 4 glass containers with fitted lids and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve warm or cold.
- The seasoning must be simple and rich in flavor (See point #1 in the article)
- You can use white rice if the brown one is not available, however, I recommend the second. Or, you can replace the basmati rice with cooked quinoa or wild rice.
- This easy shrimp fried rice recipe is perfect for meal planning. You can place the shrimp fried rice in airtight glass containers and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. You can serve it cold or warm, it's great both ways.
- You can use any of your favorite veggies in this easy shrimp fried rice recipe. Just make sure to cut them into small bite-sized pieces so that they'll cook fast and evenly.
- Also, you can add scrambled eggs to make it more consistent and if you want to make it vegan, remove the shrimps and add more veggies or crumbled tofu (or both).