This vegan Thai rice salad is great for lunch, dinner, as a side dish and even for meal-planning. It’s one of those good-for-all recipes that you just can’t go wrong with.
You were probably expecting of me to come up with another Christmas recipe, like Chocolate Brownies or a Whole Roasted Chicken. But there are plenty of them on my website so instead, I decided to do a little forward-thinking and make a light recipe for the after-Christmas.
That’s the time when we start worrying about how much we gained during Christmas when we declared ‘open season’ for eating anything because… well, it’s Christmas, right?!
That’s also when we decide to introduce light meals in our diet and that time is closing in.
So that’s why I came up with this vegan Thai rice salad recipe. Well, it’s also because I’m just in love with healthy and delicious salads.
And the good news about this vegan rice salad is that you can also serve it as a side dish. But I’ll explain more about that later in the article.
More Vegan Salads:
Along with this vegan rice salad recipe I also came up with a list of super useful tips and tricks. If you know me by now, you know that I like to dive deep into details when it comes to cooking tips, because I want to help you get the best out of my recipes.
So without further ado, let me show you how to make a Thai rice salad.
How To Make Vegan Thai Rice Salad – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Adapt this simple rice salad recipe to your taste
I made this vegan rice salad with a mix of wild and brown rice. I think this is the best combo because it’s the healthier version of rice and it also has a better texture and nutty flavor.
Brown rice has a much healthier nutrient content than its white version and it’s richer in fiber, vitamins and minerals. So I definitely recommend it but I also understand that it may not always be easily available.
In this case, you can replace it with white rice. Or, you could go for the even healthier options like quinoa, barley, buckwheat or bulgur.
Moving on to the veggies, you can go for any kind you like. Just think about the texture when choosing the veggies and keep in mind to chop them into small bite-sized pieces.
If you want this Thai rice salad to have a crunchy texture, you can make it with peppers, carrots or cabbage.
And if Kale is not easily available you can replace it with baby spinach or romaine salad.
Furthermore, I made this vegan rice salad with cashew because I love their sweet and delicate flavor. But you can replace them with pecans, almonds, chopped hazelnuts or walnuts.
Now that you know how to adapt this Thai rice salad recipe to your taste, let’s see how to serve it.
2. How to serve this vegan rice salad
Of course, it won’t be vegan anymore and if that’s not a problem, then you can add it some grilled chicken or hard boiled eggs.
This way, it will be more nourishing if served as a main.
And if you want it even more filling but still vegan, you can add fried tofu or baked chickpeas.
This vegan rice salad goes perfectly for lunch and dinner. Furthermore, it fits in a lunch box, which means it’s great for meal planning.
3. This simple rice salad recipe is perfect for meal planning.
This simple rice salad recipe is great for your weekly meal prep. You can make it ahead and place it in airtight containers, then keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
But there’s something very important to remember here. Keep the salad and dressing in separate containers and only mix them before serving. Don’t mix them before otherwise, the salad will get soggy.
So that’s about it with the tips and tricks. You’re now more than ready to make this simple rice salad recipe.
And you know the drill, don’t you? After making it, snap a shot, post it on Instagram and tag me @theblondelish so I can see what you make of my recipes.
Also, if you like this vegan rice salad recipe video and want to see more, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Vegan Thai Rice Salad Recipe
- 1 cup wild and brown rice mix
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper - chopped
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 3 cups kale - roughly chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber - chopped
- 4 green onions - thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted cashew - roughly chopped
- lime wedges - to garnish
- 4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce - or coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tsp chili flakes
- Fill a pot with salted water and bring it to the boil. Add rice and cook according to package instructions, then drain and let it cool down completely.
- Meanwhile, prep the veggies and make the dressing.
- Add all dressing ingredients into a mason jar. Place the lid on and shake vigorously to combine.
- In a large bowl add the cooked rice, purple cabbage, cucumbers, kale, bell peppers, green onions, and cashew.
- Add the dressing just before serving, and toss to combine.Enjoy!
- You can replace the wild and brown rice mix with quinoa, barley, buckwheat, bulgur, or white rice.
- You can make this vegan rice salad with any kind of veggies you like, just remember to chop them into small bite-sized pieces. If you want it more crunchy, you should add peppers, carrots or cabbage. Moreover, you can replace Kale with baby spinach or romaine salad.
- If needed, you can replace cashews with pecans, almonds, chopped hazelnuts or walnuts.
- If you want it more filling, you can add tofu or baked chickpeas. Or, if you don't care whether it's vegan or not, add some grilled chicken or hard boiled eggs.
- This Thai rice salad is perfect for meal planning. Place it in airtight containers and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. But remember to mix with the dressing only before serving.