You can make this vegan rice mushroom soup in an Instant Pot or the classic way, on the stovetop. Either way, this recipe is super easy, hearty and so delicious.
How are you holding up to winter? At the moment, I am in Bucharest and we’re are experiencing -10C here. That’s incredibly cold for me considering that I’ve spent my last winters in London, where it seldom gets to 0C.
But luckily, I know a way to beat the cold and I’ll share it with you…
The best way to stand up to winter is with homemade hot chocolate and loads of delicious comfort food.
And today, I made one of the best comfort foods ever. A vegan rice mushroom soup that’s incredibly easy to make, healthy and best of all, super delicious. And I am stocked to share it with you.
So today I’ll show you how to make a vegan rice mushroom soup that’s capable of beating even the coldest winter. Well, I really hope it doesn’t go below -10C as I am not that curious to test it.
I am assuming you live in a place where it’s cold now but if you don’t, I so envy you. In this case, you might want to serve it less warm or maybe check out the salads.
More Soup Recipes:
- Vegan Minestrone Soup Recipe (2 Ways)
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup With Parmesan Croutons
You can make this easy rice mushroom soup recipe in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop. I have included both methods in the recipe below and even though the recipe video focuses on the Instant Pot version don’t worry, the stovetop method is super easy too.
Besides, you can always reach out to me if you need help.
Now, I know my recipes usually come with plenty of tips and tricks, but this vegan rice mushroom soup recipe is so easy that it doesn’t require anything special. It’s so simple you just can’t get it wrong.
That being said, there are a few small things you ought to know before making it, like why it’s healthy and which mushrooms and rice to use. So let’s start with the first.
This creamy rice mushroom soup is super healthy
This rice and mushroom soup recipe is healthy and perfect with many diets.
Because it’s full of veggies and more specifically, with mushrooms.
These are an important ingredient in any healthy diet, not just vegan because they are packed with proteins, vitamin B and Selenium. Moreover, they are low in calories and a great source of fiber. Just check out their nutritional value.
They bring so many important nutrients to this vegan rice mushroom soup like potassium, copper and if exposed to the sun, vitamin D.
And even though mushrooms are usually white, they contain at least as many antioxidants as the colorful fruits and veggies.
So here’s my advice…
Make this vegan rice mushroom soup with as many mushrooms as you can.
Now you’re probably wondering what kind of mushrooms are best for this easy rice mushroom soup recipe, so let me answer that.
Which mushrooms are best for creamy rice mushroom soup?
Another reason why this creamy rice mushroom soup is so easy is that you can make it with any kind of mushrooms.
I used a mix of King oyster, Champignon and Pleurotus/oyster mushrooms, but you can go for Shiitake, Porcini or Portobello.
My advice is to use a mix of mushrooms as well, because this way, you’ll make the vegan rice mushroom soup more flavored and textured.
And speaking of flavors, if you really want to make the best rice mushroom soup ever, top it with a bit of grated black truffle. Trust me, this will take it to a whole new level.
And now let’s go to the second ingredient of this recipe.
Which rice to use
I made this easy rice mushroom soup with jasmine brown rice, which made it super creamy and at the same time nourishing and healthy.
Brown rice is a whole grain, considered much healthier than its white version so I strongly recommend you to use it as much as possible when cooking.
But if you don’t have it easily available then you can go for white jasmine rice or even wild rice.
Keep in mind that if you make this mushroom soup with wild rice, the cooking time will be slightly different (about 10-15min longer).
It’s worth pointing out that you can make it with any kind of rice. But again, cooking time can vary and I haven’t tested it with other kinds yet. So you would be entering a try-and-see territory.
This is not an easy thing when cooking in the Instant Pot, but if you go for the stovetop method, it’s pretty easy. Just taste the rice to see when it’s done.
So that was everything you needed to know for making this easy rice mushroom soup recipe. I told you I’d be quick this time.
As usual, please don’t forget to snap a shot after you make it, and post it on Instagram with #blondelish and tag @theblondelish.
And if you like this creamy rice mushroom soup recipe video and want to see more, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Vegan Rice Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 3 medium carrots - chopped
- 3 celery stalks - chopped
- 1 red onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (200g) uncooked jasmine brown rice
- 8 oz (230g) mixed wild mushrooms - chopped if too big
- 4 cups (960ml) vegetable broth
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and pepper - to your taste
- 2 cups (480ml) coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free flour
- fresh thyme - to garnish
The Instant Pot Method
- Press the Instant Pot's SAUTEE function, and once heated add in oil, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, rice, paprika and broth, give it a good stir then seal the lid on.
- Press the MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK button and set the cooking time to 30 minutes and the pressure to high.
- When the time is up and the Instant Pot beeps, manually release the pressure by turning the valve to VENT.
- In a small bowl whisk coconut milk and gluten-free flour until well combined.
- Press the SAUTEE button and pour the milk mixture into the soup in the Instant Pot. Mix to combine and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve immediately! Enjoy!
The Stovetop Method
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or pot, over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 4-5 minutes, until it softens.
- Stir in the mushrooms, smoked paprika and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add rice and broth, give it a good mix and bring it to the boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked through, about 30-35 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk coconut milk and gluten-free flour until well combined.
- Pour this mixture over the soup and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens slightly.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve immediately!
- You can replace the mushrooms with Shiitake, Porcini or Portobello. But bear in mind that a mix of mushrooms will bring more flavors and textures.
- For extra flavor, you could add a bit of grated black truffle.
- You can replace the brown Jasmine rice with white Jasmine rice and the recipe will remain the same.
- You can make this creamy rice mushroom soup recipe with any kind of rice, but keep in mind that cooking times will vary in this case.
*This post may contain affiliate links