This creamy white chicken chili recipe is one of the best winter recipes ever. It’s super delicious and easy, takes just 35 minutes to make, and you can cook it in an Instant Pot, Crockpot or on the stovetop, as I will explain down in the article.
Today I’m going to show you how to make white bean chicken chili, a delicious hearty comfort food, perfect for this weather and the holidays.
This recipe is perfect if you’re cooking for a crowd, as it has some of the most simple and popular ingredients such as beans, chicken and chili. So I’m sure everybody will love it.
Furthermore, it takes roughly half an hour to make and we all know how important that is during the holiday season when we have to spend so much time in the kitchen.
And that’s not all…
More Chicken Recipes:
You can make this white bean chicken chili in an Instant Pot, Crockpot or on the stovetop.
And I’m going to explain all these methods in the Tips & Tricks below. Moreover, I’ll tell you which ingredients can be replaced in this healthy white chicken chili recipe, which beans are best for it and how to thicken the soup.
Sounds interesting? Well, let’s not wait anymore and jump right in, shall we?!
How to make creamy white bean chicken chili – Best Tips & Tricks
1. How to make white chicken chili in an Instant Pot
As mentioned above, there are 3 ways of making this easy white chicken chili recipe.
The first one is on the stovetop and I covered that in the recipe and video at the end of this post.
The second way of making creamy white chicken chili is in an Instant Pot and here is the step-by-step process (see the recipe for ingredients):
- Press the SAUTE button on your Instant Pot.
- Drizzle oil, then add onions, carrots and celery. Sauté until soft, for about 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic and all spices, and cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken, green chilies, broth, and beans (mashed & whole).
- Put the lid on, secure it, and SEAL the vent.
- Press the MANUAL (older models) or PRESSURE COOK (newer models) button and set on HIGH for 12 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has ended, manually release the pressure by switching from SEAL to VENT.
- After releasing the pressure, carefully remove the lid.
- Shred the chicken, then stir in cream cheese and lime juice.
As you can see, making this creamy white chicken chili in an Instant Pot is super easy and takes very little time to make.
Now let’s see how to make it in a slow cooker Crockpot.
2. How to make white chicken chili in a Crockpot
As you probably know, I’m more of a fan of the Instant Pot because it’s a very fast method of cooking. But admittedly, the slow cooker has many benefits too, one of them being that you can cook the food while you’re away from the kitchen.
So here’s the easy three-step process of making creamy white chicken chili in a slow cooker:
- Add all ingredients, except cream cheese, lime and cilantro into the bowl of your Crockpot*.
- Put the lid on and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker and shred it with a fork. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir in cream cheese and lime.
Pretty easy, right?
Now let’s see which beans are best in this easy white chicken chili recipe.
3. Which beans to use
I made this healthy white chicken chili with cannellini beans but truth be told, you can make it with any white beans and here are some good ideas:
- Navy Pea beans
- Great Northern beans
- Baby Lima beans
You can even mix the types of beans when making this recipe. Even though they have slightly different flavors and sizes, trust me, they will go great.
Furthermore, if you don’t have white beans easily available, you can replace them with chickpeas. These will also go perfectly in my easy white chicken chili recipe.
And here’s another great tip…
After draining the beans, mash half of them with a fork, then add both mashed and whole beans into the chili. This will thicken the soup, and with the added cream cheese, it will make it creamy and richer in texture.
Now let’s see what ingredients you can change.
4. Which ingredients can be replaced in this easy white chicken chili recipe
As mentioned above, you can replace white beans with chickpeas.
Next, you can sub the chicken breast with thighs or even turkey meat. Furthermore, you can make this recipe with minced chicken or turkey.
If you want to make it super fast, use rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey. After sauteing the veggies, add all the remaining ingredients except cream cheese and lime, bring to a simmer and cook for about 10-12 minutes to meld all flavors.
Another ingredient that can be replaced is cream cheese. Instead, you can use sour cream.
That was it for today, my dear foodies. Now it’s time for you to make this white bean chicken chili recipe and don’t forget to tell me how it goes and how you like it.
And if you like this recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breast - cut in half or thirds to cook faster
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion - diced
- 1 medium carrot - diced small
- 2 celery stalks - chopped small
- 2-3 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 4 cups (32 Fl Oz / 1L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4.5 oz / 128 g) diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 cup (4.5 oz / 128 g) frozen or fresh corn
- 2 cans (15 oz / 425 g) Cannellini beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (4.5 oz / 128 g) cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro - plus more to garnish
- crushed tortilla chips or strips, Monterrey jack cheese, chopped avocado, sliced jalapeño
- Heat oil in a large pot* or dutch oven*, over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and all spices, and cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, green chilis, broth, and cover with the lid. Once the soup starts boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 18-20 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mash the beans from one of the cans using a fork and set aside. Leave the beans in the second can as they are because they will give texture to the soup.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred it with two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir in whole beans, pureed beans and corn. Continue to simmer for 5-7 minutes and allow all flavors to meld nicely. Turn the heat off and stir in cheese cream and lime juice.
- Ladle the chili into bowls, add the topping of choice.
- See how to make creamy white chicken chili in an Instant Pot* at Tip #1.
- To make it in a slow cooker*, check out Tip #2.
- I made this white bean chicken chili with cannellini beans, but you can use any white beans you like, such as Navy Pea, Great Northern or Baby Lima beans.
- See how to make it creamy at Tip #3
- If you want to replace any ingredients in this easy white chicken chili recipe, check out Tip #4.
*This post may contain affiliate links