This creamy chicken mushroom recipe takes just 25 minutes to make. It’s super easy, delicious, Keto-friendly and gluten-free.
Today I’m going to show you how to make creamy chicken and mushrooms in white sauce. This recipe is very popular and although it’s made with some of the simplest ingredients, it is incredibly tasty.
Moreover, you can make it in one pot and in under 30 minutes.
And that’s not all…
This garlic mushroom chicken recipe is also perfect for the Keto diet, which makes it good for weight-loss, and it’s gluten-free.
More Keto Recipes:
Furthermore, I made this creamy chicken mushroom in a white sauce that will make you lick the plate clean. But to make it so delicious, you’re gonna need to know a few tricks like which mushrooms to use, how to pick them or which ingredients you can replace in this garlic mushroom chicken recipe.
And that’s where we get to my favorite part, the tips & tricks. Actually, it’s my second favorite; the first is eating what I cook 🙂
So let’s get started, shall we?!
How to make creamy chicken and mushrooms in white sauce – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Which mushrooms to use
I made this creamy garlic mushroom chicken with a mix of King trumpet, Crimini and Enoki mushrooms. They were perfect in this combo because they each had different flavors and texture.
These two are very important, especially texture because some mushrooms are soft and after cooking, they will get even softer. That’s why a mix of soft and more consistent mushrooms is your best option.
But of course, there are other kinds that would go well too. And here are a few good ideas:
Any kind you use, I advise you to mix them for better texture and extra flavors.
Now let’s see how to pick and store them.
2. How to pick and store mushrooms
This tip is not just for this creamy chicken mushroom recipe. It goes for any dish with mushrooms.
When buying mushrooms, make sure they are bright and unblemished. And keep them refrigerated in paper bags, not in plastic, otherwise, they could get moldy.
Now here’s another important thing to remember. Don’t wash them as they will soak up the water and get mushy and flavorless when cooked. Instead, clean them with a mushroom brush or paper towel and if they are really dirty give them a quick rinse in cold water and immediately pat them dry with a paper towel.
And now let’s see which ingredients you can change, add or remove in this easy chicken and mushrooms recipe.
3. Adapt this easy chicken and mushrooms recipe to your taste
I already told you which types of mushrooms you can use, at Tip #1. But what other ingredients can we change in this creamy chicken mushroom recipe?
Well, first of all, let me tell you which ingredients you shouldn’t remove.
Don’t remove the mushrooms, garlic and onion. These bring all the flavor and although you could make it without them, the dish will not come out as tasty.
About the chicken, you can use breast or thighs, or even replace it with turkey.
Come to think about it, you can even replace it with shrimps.
You can use any herbs you want, fresh or dry. I love them fresh because of their intense flavor and I try to use them whenever possible.
Another ingredient that would go perfectly well is cheese. You can sprinkle shredded Parmesan, Gruyere or Cheddar over the whole dish and it will enhance the flavor.
It’s worth mentioning that cheese is allowed in Keto, in case you were worried about that.
Now let’s see what you can serve with this creamy chicken and mushrooms in white sauce.
4. What to serve with creamy chicken mushroom in white sauce
If you want to keep it Keto, then go for a simple chopped or greens salad, or roasted veggies.
But if you’re not dieting, then I would definitely add pasta, more specifically spaghetti al-dente. Oh, I’m drooling already 🙂
So that was all my dear foodies. Those were all the tricks you needed to know to make this creamy garlic mushroom chicken recipe.
Now it’s time to cook it, snap a few shots and post them on Instagram using the tag @theblondelish.
And if you like this easy chicken and mushrooms recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Creamy Chicken Mushroom In White Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Lb (700g) chicken breast - boneless skinless
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1 oz (30g) sun-dried tomatoes - chopped
- 10 oz (300g) mixed mushrooms: King trumpet, Crimini, Enoki, Button, Oyster, Chanterelle, etc - sliced
- 3/4 cup (180ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme - divided
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet* over medium heat, and brown the chicken, for about 2-3 minutes on each side (at this point, the chicken will not be fully cooked as we will continue to do so, later on, with sauce). Set aside on a plate.
- In the same preheated pan, add the onions, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Take half of the thyme sprigs, pull the leaves off of the stems and add them to the pan. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon*, scraping any brown bits left on the pan's bottom.
- Stir in the heavy cream and reduce the heat. Once simmering, return the chicken to the pan, nestling it into the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for additional 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with the remaining thyme.
- Use your favorite mushroom mix. I made this creamy garlic mushroom chicken with King trumpet, Crimini and Enoki mushrooms, but you can also make it with Porcini, Portobello, Button, Oyster, Chanterelle.
- See how to pick and store mushrooms at Tip #2.
- You can make this creamy garlic mushroom chicken with breast or thighs, and you can also replace the chicken with turkey or shrimps.
- Sprinkle shredded Parmesan, Gruyere or Cheddar for extra flavor. See more at Tip #3.
- Serve with roasted veggies, or a chopped or greens salad, to keep it Keto. If you're not dieting, add pasta and a good idea would spaghetti al-dente.
*This post may contain affiliate links
Truly appreciate the way you made this delicious and creamy chicken mushroom. Everything is so nicely described that really helped me. Looking forward for more such yummy recipes in future too.
Many thanks! Stay tuned, more yummy recipes are coming 🙂
Is this 18 carbs (14 net) per serving or entire recipe? The calories seem low for the entire recipe so I wasn’t sure…
The macros are calculated per serving, not per recipe. So both calories and carb values are per serving.
so then, where are 18g of carbs coming from? The sun-dried tomatoes?
Indeed, sun-dried tomatoes bring in most carbs (7g/serving) and the other ingredients average at about 1-2g/serving each.