This easy chicken pesto roll ups recipe is Keto and you can make it in roughly half an hour, so it’s very easy and super delish.
Today I’m going to show you how to make a super easy chicken pesto roll ups recipe. This is not just easy and tasty but also healthy and perfect for low carb diets like Keto.
Also, it’s made with some of the simplest yet most popular ingredients such as chicken and bacon. So if you’re cooking for your family or even a party, then rest assured that everybody will love it. Trust me, you just can’t go wrong with it.
This is probably old news but I am such a big fan of easy and tasty recipes made with basic ingredients easily available in any local grocery store.
And to make it even easier for you guys, I’m going to show you a few tips and tricks which will surely help you make the best chicken bacon roll ups ever.
So if you’re wondering which cheese is best for roll ups, what to serve with them or which ingredients can be replaced in this chicken pesto roll ups recipe, then you gotta have a look at the tips and tricks below.
- Related: Quick Homemade Pesto Sauce Recipe
How to make bacon wrapped chicken roll ups – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Which cheese is best for roll ups?
Any type of melty cheese is great for roll ups, so it all comes down to your tastes. And here are a few good ideas:
- mozzarella, gouda, fontina, provolone, gruyere, cheddar
I love making the chicken bacon roll ups with cheddar because it has that strong flavor. You definitely should try it, but I suggest you try this recipe with each of the above cheeses and then pick your favorite 🙂
And let me know which one’s the winner, ok?
Now let’s move on and see which ingredients can be replaced in this chicken bacon roll ups recipe.
2. Which ingredients can be changed in this easy chicken pesto roll ups recipe
You can change the breast with boneless skinless thighs or turkey breast.
Furthermore, you can use red pesto instead of green, and replace the cherry tomatoes with other veggies such as chopped peppers, zucchini or peas.
If you take the tomatoes out, you’ll also have to add about 1/2 cup of broth to the pan before you start cooking. This is to replace the juice of cherry tomatoes which will no longer form the sauce.
Without the broth or cherry tomatoes, the bacon wrapped chicken roll ups might come out a bit dry and I’m sure nobody likes dry chicken breast, right?
Moving on, you can also remove the bacon and it will still be delicious, but honestly, who would do that, right?
3. How to make the chicken tender and flavorful
This tip is not relevant just for this chicken bacon roll ups recipe. It goes for almost all recipes with chicken.
To make chicken breast more tender and flavorful you have to marinate it. Yes, this will add some extra time to the recipe but the result is totally worth it.
And it doesn’t have to be anything complicated. Just make a simple marinade with minced garlic, salt & pepper, dried basil, extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
Cover the chicken cutlets in this marinade and let them sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Trust me, the result will blow you away.
4. What to serve with chicken bacon roll ups
You can serve the bacon wrapped chicken roll ups as a main, or with your favorite side dish. And here are some wonderful sides ideas:
Now let me give you one last tip before wrapping up.
5. How to make these bacon wrapped chicken roll ups Whole30, Paleo or carb-free
These chicken bacon roll ups are Keto but if you remove the cheese, use cheese-free pesto and nitrate-free bacon, you will make it Paleo and Whole30.
If you want to make them completely carb-free, just leave the tomatoes out. But bear in mind that you would have to replace the tomato juice with something else otherwise, as I said above, the bacon wrapped chicken roll ups might come out a bit dry.
That’s it for today, my dear foodies.
Now fire up the ovens and let’s start making these delicious bacon wrapped chicken roll ups.
And if you like this easy chicken pesto roll ups recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Easy Chicken Pesto Roll Ups Recipe (Keto)
- 1 1/2 lbs. (680g) chicken breast
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 8 very thin slices of bacon
- 1/3 cup homemade pesto sauce
- 6 oz (170g) sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Fresh basil leaves - shredded (optional garnish)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- fresh thyme, parsley or basil - to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- If using large chicken breasts, cut them in half, lengthwise. Working one by one, cover with cling film and pound each cutlet to a 1/5'' (0.5cm) thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 slices of bacon on your working surface, then add one piece of thin chicken on top.
- Add about 1 Tbsp of pesto sauce in the center, spread it, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Roll up the chicken tightly and seal the ends through the bacon with a toothpick. Repeat with the remaining chicken cutlets.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken roll-ups and sear on all sides until golden, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes, then take the skillet from the stove and place it into the oven. Continue to cook for 13-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of chicken should read 165°F / 75°C on a cooking thermometer).
- Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and enjoy while hot!
- You can make the chicken bacon roll ups with any melty cheese and you can see a few great ideas at Tip #1.
- Check Tip #2 if you want to change any ingredients in this easy chicken pesto roll ups recipe.
- If time allows, marinate the chicken to make it more flavorful and tender. See how at Tip #3.
- Check Tip #4 to see a few delicious sides that would go perfectly with bacon wrapped chicken roll ups.
- To make them Paleo, Whole30, and completely carb-free, see Tip #5.
*This post may contain affiliate links