How to make the ultimate cheese board for any special occasion, whether it’s a holiday or a romantic dinner.
Ah, it’s that time of the year again, when parties move inside and we drink less Prosecco and more full-bodied reds. It’s the time for holidays, family get-togethers, joyful events and cozy romantic dinners (my favorites).
For each of these occasions, we, the passionate foodies and home chefs, try to make it special and impress… show off our skills if you wish.
And that’s exactly what I want to show you today; how to impress your family and friends… with the ultimate cheese board recipe.
This platter is great for parties and get-togethers, but do you know how else I like to serve it?
For romantic dinners, of course. What can be more delightful than French cheese, red wine and the person you love most?
I want you to visualize something. Just humor me, I’ll keep it short.
Picture yourself and your darling on the terrace of an old Chateau in Southern France, tasting delicious French cheese and sipping red wine from “a glass that’s never empty” (quote from one of my favorite movies, A Good Year).
Or perhaps you can see yourself on the balcony of a nice Italian villa, right at the top of the cliffs on the Amalfi Coast, sipping your wine, eating cheese and enjoying the sea view.
How great does that sound?
Now, I know I can’t take you to Provence or Amalfi (sorry! ), but I can help you recreate that romantic atmosphere in the comfort of your cozy homes.
It might seem fancy and hard to make at first but trust me, you can make this simple cheese platter with cheeses from your local supermarket in just 10 minutes. You don’t need to go to France for them or anything like that.
Bear in mind that anybody can throw a few pieces of cheese on a plate and call it the ultimate cheese board. But not us, not the Blondelish foodies. We like to eat in style and the word ‘dull’ is completely unknown to us.
So today I will show you how to make a cheese board look attractive for any special occasion, not just holidays.
Without further ado, let’s get into it, shall we?!
First, you’ll need to pick a nice board.
As said above, throwing cheese on a plate will not create a French atmosphere for your romantic dinner and it won’t impress anybody at your party.
So please be creative when trying to impress, ok?
I used a bamboo cheese board for the sake of this post, but you can replace it with other platters or boards, as long as they look nice. Here are some of the most popular:
- Wooden boards (most popular)
- Slate boards
- Marble boards
If you have a nice wooden cutting board in your kitchen, you can also use that.
Next, you’ll need to pick the right cheese.
Best Cheeses for a Cheese Board
When picking the best cheeses for your platter, you need to think about what you like but more importantly about what your guests like.
Remember! Cheese may come in totally different flavors. What goes for you doesn’t mean will go for other people. If you are unsure about what their preferences, then it may be wise to pick more types and rest assured that you’ve got everybody covered.
It’s worth saying that the same principle applies whenever you’re trying to impress guests. Think more about what they like and less about what you like.
The cheeses in this recipe are very common in most supermarkets. However, if you still can’t find it locally, head over to Amazon or any other large online grocery store, and search for them there.
And these are some of the most popular types:
- Soft: Goat cheese, Feta, Brie, Mozzarella, burrata, Humboldt fog, Camembert, Champignon
- Semi-soft: Gorgonzola, Blue cheese (Roquefort and Stilton), Fontina, Morbier
- Semi-Hard: Gruyère, Emmental, Manchego, provolone, Comte, Swiss
- Hard: Parmesan, Cheddar, Gouda, Pecorino
See here how to store cheese in case you have leftovers, or want to store it longer.
Next, you need to think about what else you could serve with it because colorful, rich platters look a lot better.
More Cheesy Recipes:
- Shakshuka with Goat Cheese
- Veggie Burger with Avocado and Stilton
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce
What to serve with a cheese board
Here, you’ll need to find the perfect combination of sweet, salty and sour. Hence, fruits (fresh or dried) are always a good choice. Here are some of the most popular sides that you can include:
- Crackers or toasted bread: multigrain crackers, ciabatta, crostini.
- Fruits (fresh or dried): Grapes, apricots, raspberries, pears.
- Nuts: Pecans, Cashew, Almonds.
- Olives. Green olives are usually best. Here, I would recommend Nocellara (Sicilian olives) or Spanish greens.
- Charcuterie. If you really want to impress try to find some authentic French Saucisson or Spanish Jamon Iberico de Bellota. But these are not easy to find, so instead, you can try a selection of Italian, French or Spanish salami that you can get from your local grocery store.
- Spreads: Chutney, Honey, fig jam, mustard.
Finally, you need to pick a good wine. This step is very important, especially if you make this cheese board for Valentine’s Day or any other romantic occasion. So guys, take notes!
I suggest going for a rich and mature red wine. This will enhance each flavor and will delight your palate. Here is an in-depth article on how to pair wine and cheese.
Now it’s time to put our skills into practice and make the ultimate cheese board. Just follow the recipe and video below and you will make it in no-time.
And if you would like to see more delicious recipe videos, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
How To Make The Ultimate Cheese Board – Recipe Video
Easy Cheese Board Recipe
- 2 oz (50g) red Leicester cheese
- 2 oz (50g) Abondance cheese
- 1 oz (30g) Parmesan Reggiano DOP
- 1.5 oz (40g) Blue Stilton
- 2.5 oz (70g) Camembert
- 3.5 oz (100g) Grapes
- a handful of pecans, raw or roasted
- a handful of dried soft apricots
- 4-6 Oatmeal crackers
- Start with arranging the pieces of cheese, then the grapes, apricot, pecans, and crackers. You can do it exactly like I did in the video above, or you can be creative and give it a shape that looks more appealing to you. Some prefer to arrange the cheese clockwise, from soft to hard.
- Whichever way you choose to go for, make sure there are no empty spaces left (rich boards look a lot better)
*This post may contain affiliate links
How are you?
I’m a huge fan of your website. I really enjoyed your article.
I’m Michael, a seller on amazon, I’m reaching out to you because I would love to have you test our new bamboo cheese board set, even work together with you on a sponsored post opportunity, or any social media (youtube, instagram, facebook).
I will send one to you as gift, here is the link of cheese board set:
It would be highly appreciated if you can give me a reply whether you accept the cooperation or not.