This cheesy zucchini fritters recipe is Keto, gluten free, super easy and best of all, it comes with a spicy ranch dip that will make you lick the plate clean.
Today I am going to show you how to make zucchini fritters in under than 30 minutes. This recipe is super easy, as are all my recipes, and it’s also low carb which makes it perfect for the Keto diet.
Furthermore, this easy zucchini fritters recipe is gluten-free as I made them with almond flour instead of regular flour.
More gluten-free recipes:
And if you’re wondering what kind of cheese I used, you’ll be happy to know that I made them with mozzarella and parmesan, some of the most popular cheeses, and you can also make them with cheddar, but I’ll tell you more about that in the tips and tricks below.
Moreover, I will tell you what to serve with Keto zucchini fritters, how to make them crispy, which sauce to use and which ingredients you can replace in this healthy zucchini fritters recipe.
So keep reading if you want to make the best zucchini fritters ever.
How to make zucchini fritters – Best Tips & Tricks
1. How to make zucchini fritters crispy
These keto zucchini fritters are slightly crispy on the outside and cheesy and tender on the inside. And the best way to make them like this is to fry them in a pan.
I explained the exact process in the recipe below, but note that if you want them even crispier you’d have to increase the frying time with about 1-2 minutes, and frequently turn them from one side to another to make sure they won’t burn.
Another way to make them crispy is to add a little less mixture and make them thinner. Some people like them thin, while others, including myself, like chunkier fritters. In this case, you can stick to the cooking time in the recipe.
And that is how to make zucchini fritters crispy. Now let’s see which ingredients can be changed.
2. Which ingredients can be changed in this Keto zucchini fritters recipe
The ingredients are simple and perfectly combined to yield the most delicious Keto zucchini fritters.
But I’m sure everyone has their own tastes and want to bring their touch to every meal they make. So if that’s you, then you’ll be happy to hear that you can replace some of the ingredients with your favorites.
You can change the seasonings with any of your favorites and here are a few good ideas:
Furthermore, you can make these cheesy zucchini fritters with cheddar instead of mozzarella and parmesan, and you can replace the almond flour with regular flour or, if you want a healthier alternative, go for oats flour.
And you can even change the main ingredient and make it with yellow or green zucchini, courgette, cocozelle or cousa squash.
3. Best sauce for zucchini fritters
The spicy ranch dip is one of my favorite dips ever. It’s also a great way to add some tasty fats to your meal if you are on a Keto diet.
Other Keto sauces that you can serve with these fritters are tzatziki and homemade mayo.
And if you are not on dieting, you can replace the spicy ranch dip with sweet chili, marinara, homemade ketchup, barbecue sriracha or harissa.
Now let’s see what to serve with them.
4. What to serve with cheesy zucchini fritters
I love them with a fresh chopped salad or with Salsa or Pico de Gallo. And if you want a more consistent meal, then you should try them with a seared chicken or steak, and some pickles.
Another great idea is hummus and I’ve got the perfect hummus recipes for that.
5. Final extra tips
I don’t think this is a secret but it’s worth mentioning anyway. Zucchinis are made up of mostly water and that’s ‘no bueno’ for our low carb keto zucchini fritters, so you need to squeeze as much water as you can out of them.
This is important because it helps the mixture hold together tightly and prevents the ingredients from falling apart. It also helps to make the gluten free zucchini fritters crispy on the outside.
To squeeze most of the water, start by shredding them using the large side of a cheese grater. Then lightly salt them and give it a good stir.
Leave them for 5 minutes, after which you’ll notice that the zucchinis will start ‘sweating’ or eliminating water. At this point, you should squeeze the water out of them as shown in the video, then mix them with the rest of the ingredients and cook.
Another thing worth mentioning is that kids love them too so it’s a great way to sneak up veggies into their diets.
And that was it for today, my dear foodies. By now, I am sure you know how to make zucchini fritters easy, so let’s get to the recipe and the actual cooking.
And if you like this easy zucchini fritters recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Cheesy Zucchini Fritters With Spicy Ranch Dip
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes - (optional)
- sea salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil - divided
Ingredients for the spicy Ranch dip:
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 2-4 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- Start by making the spicy ranch. Whisk all ingredients in a mixing jug and refrigerate until ready to serve. The flavors will meld together and it actually tastes better the next day, so you can make this one ahead.
- Next, shred the zucchini, then squeeze the moisture out (as in the video above) and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, almond flour, mozzarella, parmesan, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Spoon in a heap tablespoon of zucchini mixture and gently spread it to form the fritters. Cook about 3 fritters at a time, frying them for 3-4 minutes on each side (or until golden brown). While they cook, work on their shape, as they tend to spread a bit too much. With a silicone spatula, gently flatten the edges and make the fritters round.
- Carefully flip them on the other side, as they're still soft so they can break easily. Once the fritters are done and slightly chilled, they'll set nicely. Cooking the fritters can be a bit tricky, but don't worry too much, you'll get the hang of it after the first batch. Serve with your spicy ranch dip and enjoy!
- To make these Keto zucchini fritters crispy, you need to fry them in a pan. See how at Tip #1.
- You can replace the seasonings with any of your favorites and you have a few good ideas at Tip #2.
- You can make these healthy zucchini fritters with cheddar instead of mozzarella and parmesan, and you can replace the almond flour with oats or regular flour.
- The ranch dip can be replaced with tzatziki or homemade mayo to keep it Keto, and if you're not dieting, with sweet chili, marinara, homemade ketchup, barbecue sriracha or harissa.
- You can serve them with salsa or Pico de gallo, with seared chicken or steak, or with hummus.
- Make sure you squeeze as much water as you can out of the zucchinis before cooking to help the mixture hold together tightly. See how at Tip #5