One of my favorite Vegetarian recipe: Sesame Bean Casserole
Bean Casserole is considered a traditional dish in many countries, having hundreds of versions all over the world. French call it cassoulet and they cook it with duck. In the Mediterranean kitchen, they mix it with seafood or fish. In South America, there are versions with beef and different types of sausages. Vegetarians just remove the meat and add different spices and greens to enhance the taste.
As I said in some of my other posts, I have days when I eat Vegetarian so I can maintain a balanced diet. Today is one of those meatless days, so I chose to make a vegan version of the Bean Casserole with a special twist. I added sesame.
But if you don’t want to give up on meat, you can simply throw in a thickly cut chorizo and it will satisfy even the most carnivores of you. Serve it warm as the flavors are stronger.
You can have the Bean Casserole in a number of ways. I had it in a metallic bowl, typical for Indian food (curry pot), but a normal plate or bowl would do just fine. You should try it with a few slices of garlic toast as they go together perfectly and it adds a bit of crispness.
More Vegetarian Recipes:
- Roasted Beetroot Salad with Feta and Couscous
- Vegetarian Burger with Avocado and Blue Cheese
I am sure vegans and vegetarians will really appreciate the bean casserole. And if you want to see more veggie recipes you might want to browse a bit through my Vegetarian category. It’s filled with delicious, easy recipes.
Enjoy it and as always, let me know what you think about it.
How to cook Bean Casserole? Well, let’s see…
15 Minutes Sesame Bean Casserole
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1 big onion cut into wedges
- 5 different colour bell peppers cut into strips/julienne
- 4 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp sesame paste
- 1 can/8oz chopped tomatoes
- small bunch of parsley or coriander chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 2 cans/15oz butter beans drained and rinsed
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion, celery, peppers and smoked paprika. Sautee for about 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften.
- Stir in beans, garlic, chopped tomatoes, sesame paste and season generously with salt and freshly grounded pepper. Place a tight lid over and simmer on a lower heat for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with fresh chopped parsley/coriander and lemon wedges.
If you like this Bean Casserole Recipe, why not rate it in the comments section below so it will reach more awesome foodies like yourself