This Spanish Tortilla recipe is just perfect to share with family
I always loved Spanish food. It reminds me of the many holidays I’ve enjoyed in this beautiful country. Oh, I can’t wait to get back there, especially in Barcelona, which is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever seen. I am actually thinking about going there to write a post about the city, its restaurants and the food, as they’re all amazing.
Well, who am I kidding. I think I want to go there because I really need a holiday. And writing a post about Catalan food would probably be a good excuse 🙂 . But let’s stop dreaming for a bit and let’s bring a bit of Spain into our homes. Tortilla is a pretty simple food, one that you have to try if you ever go there, and if you don’t, just follow this recipe and you will save yourselves the money for the ticket to Spain 🙂
As you can see, there is no meat in this tortilla which probably makes it perfect for vegetarians. In my post Fusilli with cherry tomatoes and spinach I explained that I have days when I rule out all meat products in order to keep a healthy balanced diet. Just like pasta, this tortilla is very nourishing and when I have an exhausting day, it really comes to rescue by giving me the carbs I need.
Oh yea, I should also mention here the Vegetarian Burger with avocado and blue cheese, which is another perfect recipe for my no meat days.
This is my version of Tortilla with salsa and it’s probably best if you make it a big one, so you can share it with friends or family.
How to make a Spanish Tortilla
Spanish tortilla with spicy kiwi salsa
- 450 g (16 ounces / about 3 large) potatoes - thinly sliced
- 1 onion - thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper - sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 8-9 free range eggs
- 1 Tbsp butter - melted
- 1 tbs chilli flakes
- 4-5 garlic cloves - minced
For the kiwi salsa
- 1 cup (150g) cherry tomatoes - cut into halves
- 1/4 cup (30g) cucumber - diced
- 1/4 onion - diced
- 2 kiwi - peeled and diced
- 1 red chili - finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil - extra virgin
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1/4 cup (23g) fresh mint leaves - chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/375F.
- In a small bowl mix the potato slices with onion, pepper bell, salt and pepper, and drizzle olive oil. Mix well with your hands to get them all coated.
- Place it in a tray and roast in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, to get them all softened.
- Whisk the eggs with butter, a pinch of salt, pepper, chilli flakes and the minced garlic.
- Place the softened veggies in a cast iron pan, and pour the egg mixture over.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes(covered with foil) until the egg is set and golden brown on top.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa. Chop all the veggies and mix them in a small bowl. Add salt, olive oil and lime juice and mix to combine.
- Cut the tortilla into 4-6 slices, and serve with the kiwi salsa.
*This post may contain affiliate links
I had this tortilla with another Spanish dish , fresh salsa with cherry tomatoes, chilli and kiwi.
This is kind of like a sauce and salad combined (I call it sausalad :)) ), and it’s made with fresh veggies chopped in small pieces, where you can also add a fruit. So I choose kiwi.
Don’t take my word for it, try it yourselves.