This Easy Salmon Patties Recipe is so fast and delicious, it’s hard to believe that it’s also keto, gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30. Also known as fresh salmon cakes, this satisfying and healthy dinner recipe is a win all around!
Welcome back for a new super easy salmon patties recipe that you’re just going to love.
You can make this with your favorite healthy fish and a few basic ingredients, it’s packed with healthy omega-3 fats and great for meal prepping.
I’ve also included below all of the ways you can mix up the ingredients in this recipe and how I love to season and serve these healthy salmon cakes.
Plus, I’ll show you two ways to cook them up: on the stove and in the oven (and a bonus: the air fryer!).
Don’t miss my helpful Tips & Tricks below before you start making this baked salmon patties recipe.
Best Tips & Tricks for this easy salmon patties recipe
1. Which ingredients can be changed in this fresh salmon patties recipe?
If you’d like to add a bit of savory, briny flavor, chopped capers work great in your fresh salmon cakes. Make sure they’re thoroughly drained before folding a tablespoon or two into the salmon pattie mixture.
Chopped, pitted olives are another great addition for more flavor and moisture.
If you’re not on keto, paleo, or Whole30 diets, you can make this fresh salmon patties recipe with crumbled crackers instead of almond flour.
Saltines or another salty, basic-flavored cracker will give the healthy salmon cakes a slightly crunchy, extra crisp texture.
If you’re not a fan of salmon, you can also make fish patties with any fillet you like, such as tilapia, cod, pollock, or tuna.
You can also make healthy salmon cakes with canned or leftover salmon (more on that below).
2. Can you make these healthy salmon cakes with breadcrumbs?
I made these healthy salmon cakes without breadcrumbs to make them Keto, Paleo, Whole30 and gluten-free.
I used almond and coconut flour instead, but you can certainly replace these with 1 1/4 cups of panko breadcrumbs.
Gluten-free panko will also work.
Note that if you do opt for breadcrumbs, the patties will be crispier on the outside, especially if you fry them on the stove.
Let me know how they came out in the comments below! I love to hear about how you tweak and adapt my recipes to your taste. And other foodies might find that helpful too!
3. What is the best canned salmon for healthy salmon cakes?
To make healthy fish patties with canned tuna or salmon, opt for a can labeled:
- Low sodium
- ASMI and MAC certified
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Contains skin and bone for extra calcium
Wild Planet* is a common supermarket brand that makes high-quality fish.
Make sure you drain the canned fish very well before adding it to the mixing bowl*. Too much moisture can affect the texture of the patties, causing them to fall apart while cooking.
4. What is the best sauce for fresh salmon patties?
I love to serve my fresh fish patties with sweet chili sauce or a spicy ranch. My favorite keto ranch dressing recipe is always a winner with this meal.
Other classic dips you might like include marinara sauce, ketchup, or simple mayo. Rao’s marinara* is a great healthy and keto-friendly sauce to look for.
5. Can you use these for meal planning?
Yes, you can meal prep salmon patties.
Cooked patties will freeze for up to 1 month. Simply reheat them on the stove, in the oven, or in the microwave whenever you want a quick meal.
You can also freeze uncooked patties for up to one month.
6. Can you make this easy salmon patties recipe in an air-fryer?
This recipe is perfect for an air fryer*.
Simply follow the recipe as written. Instead of baking them in the oven, preheat your air fryer and cook the fresh salmon patties for 10-12 minutes. They will be golden and crisp on the outside and cooked through.
7. What is the best side for baked salmon patties?
8. What is the best seasoning for salmon patties?
To season the patties, I love to use fresh herbs like dill, parsley, oregano, or chives.
But you can also use dried herbs or any of your favorite seasonings, including smoked paprika, Cajun seasoning, or Old Bay seasoning*.
And that was it for today, my dear foodies. By now, I am sure you’re excited to make these baked salmon patties, so let’s get to the recipe!
And if you like this fresh salmon patties recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
- Healthy Grilled Salmon Bowl With Vegetables and Quinoa
- Easy Baked Salmon and Veggies Recipe
- Easy Keto Tuna Fritters Recipe (Low Carb/Whole30/Gluten-Free)
Easy Salmon Patties Recipe
- 2 lb (900g) fresh salmon filets
- 2 tsp olive oil - plus more for frying, or cooking oil spray for baking
- 1/2 tsp sea salt - or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper - or to taste
- 1 medium/small yellow onion - finely diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves - pressed
- 1 red chili - seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (50g) almond flour
- 3 tbsp (25g) coconut flour
- 2 large eggs - lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup (15g) parsley, finely minced
- 2 tbsp chives - chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the salmon fillets in the center of the prepared baking sheet, skin-side-down. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 min (depending on their thickness), or just until cooked through and flaky.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 min.
- In a large mixing bowl, flake the salmon with 2 forks, discarding the skin and bones.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add diced onion, garlic, and chili, and sauté for about 4 minutes, or until softened.
- Remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl with the flaked salmon. Add the almond and coconut flours, eggs, mustard, parsley, and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir well to combine.
- Take large tablespoons of the mixture and form into patties. Depending on their size you should have around 10 to 12 patties.
- Next, there are 2 ways of cooking the fresh salmon patties. You can either fry or bake them:
- Preheat the same skillet over medium-low heat and drizzle with oil.
- Add the salmon cakes in a single layer and fry for about 2-3 min per side or until golden brown and cooked through. If your patties brown too quickly, reduce the heat.
- Remove the cooked patties to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining salmon cakes.
OVEN (a bit less time consuming and probably healthier too):
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Arrange the fresh salmon patties on a baking sheet, leaving some space in between. Lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until cooked through.
- I've put all of my easy ingredient swaps in Tip #1.
- For how to make salmon cakes with breadcrumbs, read Tip #2.
- Tip #3 includes my recommendations for the best canned salmon to use.
- If you're looking for the best sauce to serve with these healthy salmon cakes, be sure to check out Tip #4.
- Tip #5 is all about meal prepping salmon patties.
- If you've got an air fryer, don't miss tip #6.
- To see the best sides for baked salmon patties, check out Tip #7.
- Tip #8 includes the best seasonings for this recipe.
*This post may contain affiliate links