Rich, naturally low-carb, and gluten-free Keto Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are about to become your new favorite dessert recipe. These 30-minute, sugar-free treats are made with chocolate chips and almond flour plus a secret ingredient to give them a sweet maple twist.
Is there ever a bad time for homemade chocolate cupcakes? I didn’t think so 🙂
And the best part about today’s recipe is that these treats are 100% keto and gluten-free. They may be sugar-free, but they do not skimp on flavor or decadence.
Plus, I’ll show you how to make both chocolate and vanilla frosting to top your treats. I can’t wait for you to try them!
But before you get to baking, however, I must show you a few Tips & Tricks to help you make perfect gluten-free chocolate cupcakes from scratch.
I’ll fill you in on how to fill your keto chocolate cupcakes for a dessert with a creamy surprise inside. Then, I’ll walk you through step-by-step on how to make my fluffy and dreamy cream cheese frosting two ways.
Finally, before you go, be sure to read my tip on how to make homemade chocolate cupcakes super moist.
Oh yeah, and I’ve included a few easy ingredient swaps too.
Once you try my best chocolate cupcakes recipe, you won’t need to go back to box mixes ever again!
How to make keto chocolate cupcakes from scratch – Best Tips & Tricks
1. What is the best filling for chocolate cupcakes?
If you want to upgrade your homemade chocolate cupcakes, why not fill them with a sweet surprise for your guests? One of my favorite ways to fill cupcakes is with a spoonful of peanut butter:
- First, place a spoonful of batter into each muffin liner.
- Then use the tip of your spoon to make a little pocket for the peanut butter filling.
- Add a spoon of peanut butter to the center, then top the cupcake with a little more batter to cover the peanut butter.
- Repeat with the remaining muffins.
Now each bite will deliver the perfect flavor pairing: dark chocolate & creamy peanut butter.
You can also try this technique with other fillings like sugar-free strawberry or raspberry preserves. You can even fold nuts or more sugar-free chocolate chips into the filling for added texture.
2. What’s the best frosting for chocolate cupcakes and how to make it super easy
Cream cheese frosting is a dream and in my chocoholic opinion, it is the best frosting for cupcakes!
And this keto cream cheese frosting recipe is incredibly rich and creamy, with just enough sweetness to make it addictive.
I always make both vanilla and chocolate frosting because it’s super easy to make, and I love to have a bit of diversity. Plus, everyone gets to enjoy their favorite flavor.
To make the low-carb frosting:
- In a mixing bowl*, combine softened cream cheese, softened butter, powdered erythritol, vanilla extract, and heavy cream.
- Using a hand mixer*, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Reserve half of the frosting in a small bowl to make vanilla.
- Add cocoa powder to the remaining frosting and mix until well incorporated.
You’ll now have both vanilla and chocolate frosting to make everybody happy!
3. What is the best chocolate for Keto chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?
I like making these homemade chocolate cupcakes with sugar-free, dairy-free dark chocolate chips. If you want to make keto cupcakes, make sure the chips are keto-friendly.
You can also use white chocolate chips for an unexpected look. To keep your dessert keto, make sure they’re sugar-free, alcohol-free, and contain no artificial sweeteners.
They should be sweetened with monk fruit extract and contain no calories or carbs, which makes them a great option for a little sweetness on a ketogenic diet.
4. How to make homemade chocolate cupcakes super moist?
This is one of the best chocolate cupcake recipes, and I guarantee that it will give you super moist cupcakes every time. Sugar-free maple-flavored syrup, almond flour, and coconut oil* ensure that each bite is dense and not the least bit dry.
Cooking time is also important when making these, or any cupcakes. Make sure you don’t over bake them. Ovens can vary in their heat and power, so the timing (15 – 17 minutes) for the temperature in the recipe (350°F/180°C) is an estimation that worked for me.
Set your oven to the same temperature, but start with a timer on 12 minutes. Check them and add a few more minutes as needed. Also remember that your cupcakes will harden a bit as they cool, and even more when they’re refrigerated. Remember to let your keto chocolate cupcakes cool fully before adding the cream cheese frosting.
5. Ingredient swaps and substitutions to make the best chocolate cupcakes recipe
You can easily make these gluten-free chocolate cupcakes with coconut flour if you don’t have almond flour*. They’ll still be grain-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly, with a subtle tropical flavor.
But keep in mind that coconut flour absorbs more liquid than all other flours so you’ll have to use a smaller quantity, or mix it with a different type of flour.
Alternatively, you can replace almond flour with the exact same amount of cashew flour*.
You can also substitute the maple-flavored syrup with another Keto-friendly syrup you like. And if you’re not on Keto, you could swap it with honey or normal maple syrup.
More Gluten-Free Chocolate Desserts
If you’re avoiding gluten, there are dozens of other treats just as tasty as these Keto Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, such as:
- Easy Chocolate Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Brownies Recipe (Vegan | Paleo | Gluten Free)
- How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries Easy
And if you want to see many more yummy recipe videos, come say hi and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups (190g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (22g) dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60ml) JARGANIC coconut oil - melted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 3 large eggs - room temperature
- 1/2 cup (84g) dark chocolate chips - sugar-free, dairy-free
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese -
- 4 tbsp (56g) butter -
softened & cut into cubes
- 1 cup (120g)
powdered erythritol or allulose
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder - sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Add in the melted coconut oil, maple-flavored syrup, and gently crack the eggs in. Whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into your paper liners.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the center is set.
- While the cupcakes bake, let's prepare the frosting.In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, softened butter, powdered erythritol, vanilla extract, and heavy cream.
- Using a hand mixer, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Reserve half of the frosting in a small bowl.
- Add cocoa powder to the remaining frosting, and mix until well incorporated. You should now have both vanilla and chocolate frosting, to make everybody happy!
- Once the cupcakes are done, remove from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and pipe a swirl onto each cupcake.
- Pipe some of the cupcakes with chocolate frosting, others with vanilla, and a few with both chocolate and vanilla, just for fun!
- If you want to make these treats even more decadent with a filling, see Tip #1.
- Tip #2 details the best frosting for keto chocolate cupcakes.
- If you're wondering what kind of chocolate is best, read Tip #3.
- And if you want to make your homemade chocolate cupcakes super moist, do not miss Tip #4.
*This post may contain affiliate links
Hi Mihaela, can I freeze them frosted? Thanks