You can make this easy chicken tikka masala recipe in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop and I’ve included both methods in the recipe below. They are quick, easy, and both will make the best chicken tikka masala ever.
Today I am going to show you how to make chicken tikka masala in an Instant Pot and on the stovetop.
And to be honest, I kind of am a little bit, especially this time of year when it’s so cold outside and my body is just crying for comfort food.
Of course, I am not saying that homemade chicken tikka masala is just for the cold weather, but it feels so nice when you get home after a cold busy day and indulge in this warm bowl.
And it feels even nicer if you’ve done your meal prep and all you have to do is just warm it up 🙂 (lazy me)
That’s another reason why I love this recipe; it’s excellent for meal planning.
Honestly, I’m so excited about it, I’ll just go out and say that this is one of the best chicken tikka masala recipes and there are so many reasons for that. We have two super easy methods of cooking it, it’s super delicious, perfect for the cold outside and excellent for meal planning.
And that’s not all…
More Chicken Recipes:
I have included below a list of super useful tips & tricks to help you make the best chicken tikka masala recipe ever.
Among them, I will explain you how to marinate the chicken for tikka masala, how to adapt this recipe to your taste and what to serve with it.
So make sure you read them if you want to make the best chicken tikka masala recipe.
But just before that, I wanted to say that the recipe below includes both cooking methods, yet the video shows just the Instant Pot method. As you probably know, this pressure cooker is another obsession of mine :).
But don’t worry, the stovetop way is so easy you just can’t go wrong with it. And if you need any help, I am just one comment away.
And now let me show you how to make chicken tikka masala easy with my useful tips and tricks.
How to make chicken tikka masala easy – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Adapt this easy chicken tikka masala recipe to your taste
You can make this easy chicken tikka recipe with skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs, or even with turkey.
Keep in mind that it’s important to chop the meat into even bite-sized pieces so that they will all cook at the same time.
Also, if time allows, you should marinate the chicken and I’ll explain how in the next section.
Another thing to adjust is the spiciness level. I like super spicy food so I added a few extra slices of chili but everyone’s tastes are different so it’s best to adjust it to yours.
2. How to make chicken tikka marinade
There are probably quite a few chicken tikka marinates out there, but here’s one of the best:
- In a small bowl, mix the spices well (see them in the recipe below).
- Place the chicken into a ziploc bag together with half of the spices, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Mix well to combine, then let it chill for 4-6 hours.
This is a pretty simple and yet super flavored way of marinating chicken tikka. No fancy ingredients or anything like that.
Now let’s move further and see what to serve with chicken tikka masala.
3. What to serve with chicken tikka masala
By far, the best side dish for this homemade chicken tikka masala is cooked brown rice. But you can also serve it with pita or Naan bread, or with salads, like Thai rice salad or Quinoa chopped salad.
Here are some other ideas that you can serve with chicken tikka: green salad, fresh chopped salad, roasted veggies, steamed potatoes.
Take your pick and let me know which one you think is best with this homemade chicken tikka masala.
And lastly, keep in mind that this easy chicken tikka masala recipe is perfect for meal planning.
After making it, you can divide it into 4 glass containers and you can refrigerate it for up to 5 days. Or, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
It’s best to place it in ovenproof glass containers so that when you want to eat it, you’ll just have to throw it in the oven or the microwave and warm it up. Less effort and fewer dishes to wash.
So that’s all my dear foodies. Now it’s time to make this easy chicken tikka masala recipe, then snap a shot and post it on Instagram using the tag @theblondelish.
And if you like this chicken tikka masala recipe video and want to see more like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- 2 lb (900g) chicken - skinless, boneless breast or thighs
- 1 white onion - finely diced
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger - (use the microplane)
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt - or to taste
- 1 can (15 oz. / 425 mg) tomato sauce
- 2 green chilis - chopped
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- a handful of fresh coriander - to garnish
Serve with: cooked brown rice
THE INSTANT POT METHOD
- Start by pressing the SAUTE button on your Instant Pot.
- Once heated, add olive oil and onions, then sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until they soften.
- Stir in the chicken with ginger, garlic and spices.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the broth, tomato sauce, chilis and mix them well.
- Put the lid on, secure it, and SEAL the vent.
- Press the MANUAL (older models) or PRESSURE COOK (newer models) button and set on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has ended, manually release the pressure by switching from seal to VENT.
- After releasing the pressure, carefully remove the lid.
- Stir in plain yogurt.
- Serve with rice and garnish with chopped coriander and lime wedges.
THE STOVETOP METHOD:
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until they soften.
- Add in the chicken with ginger, garlic, and spices.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, constantly stirring, until golden brown but not entirely cooked.
- Add in the broth, tomato sauce, chili and mix them well. Lower the heat, place the lid on and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors are blended.
- Serve with rice and garnish with chopped coriander and lime wedges.Enjoy!
- You can use skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs, or replace the chicken with turkey. Just remember to cut them into even, bite-sized pieces.
- Adjust the level of spiciness to your taste, and if time allows, marinate the chicken before cooking it. See how at Section #2.
- The best side dish for homemade chicken tikka masala is cooked brown rice but you can also serve it with salads and veggies (Section #3).
- This chicken tikka masala recipe is perfect for meal planning. You can refrigerate it in ovenproof glass containers for up to 5 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
*This post may contain affiliate links