Make this easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe and forget about store-bought. And it’s not just easy, but also crazy delish and perfect for freezing.
Today we are going to make a quick and easy homemade spaghetti sauce.
This is one of my favorite sauce recipes (my other favorite is homemade pesto) because it’s quite versatile. You can serve it with any kind of pasta but also as a dip with different meats, or healthy chips.
More Pasta recipes:
Another thing I love about it is that you can make a large batch and freeze it for future use. You can store it for up to 3 months.
That can be really helpful when making weekly meal preps or other make-ahead meals.
For instance, when you have a family get-together, you can make this sauce a few days ahead, and then just boil spaghetti before they arrive.
This way you won’t spend much time in the kitchen (unless you’re also the one doing the dishes 🙂 ) and you’ll make a quick meal that everybody loves.
Now, you might argue that 50 minutes is not exactly quick but it actually takes just 5 minutes to prep and 45 to roast.
So don’t get scared by the cooking time, ok?
I told you this is an easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe and I wasn’t lying (chef’s honor).
But there’s something else I need to mention before getting to my usual tips and tricks section.
I made this homemade spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes and bell peppers. If you decide to make it, please don’t use canned tomatoes because it will not come out the same.
It’s not like there’s something wrong with them, but the whole cooking process would be different and consequently, the whole recipe. So please stick with the fresh ones.
Now, before getting down to cooking, I need to take you through my best tips and tricks which will help you make the best spaghetti sauce.
How to make homemade spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes and bell peppers – Tips & Tricks
1. How do you like it, smooth or chunky?
I know some people like their spaghetti sauce smooth. If you are one of them, then you’ll need to remove the skins from the veggies before blending them.
And that’s not hard at all. You have to let them cool after roasting and then the skins will come off easily.
It does add a few extra minutes but totally worth it if you like it smooth.
But if you’re like me and like the spaghetti sauce slightly chunky then you’re in luck because you don’t need to do anything else. Just blend them once out of the oven.
2. Make a large batch and freeze it.
Let the sauce cool after cooking then pour it into Ziploc bags and freeze them.
You should fill each bag with one or two servings (about 1/3 cup per serving) so you won’t have to defrost the whole batch when needed.
This way you’ll be able to make a quick yummy meal in no-time. All you’d have to do is boil spaghetti and defrost the sauce on the stove or in the microwaves.
3. Serve it as a dip
You can serve this homemade spaghetti sauce as a dip for different meats, like whole roasted chicken, meatballs or even in burgers.
In this case, you might want to make it smoother, so remove the skin as explained above.
Now you know my best tips and tricks for making this easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe, so it’s the end of story and time for action!
And if you like it and want to see more videos like it, please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 3 bell peppers - deseeded and cut into 4
- 3 large tomatoes - cut into halves
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Place the peppers, tomatoes, and garlic on a baking sheet and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and drizzle olive oil then toss to coat.
- Roast for 40-50 mins, until soft and charred on the sides.
- Peel the roasted garlic then place all veggies in a blender or food processor. Add in balsamic vinegar and blend until smooth.
- Taste and season (to your taste), if needed.
- Keep the sauce refrigerated in a jar for 3-5 days.
- Serve with your favorite pasta and add a good sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese.Enjoy!