Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta With Alfredo Sauce is a decadent, satisfying and incredibly easy linguine dinner recipe with super tender chicken and parmesan cheese.
Are you ready for the creamiest chicken mushroom pasta recipe yet? Today’s dish is packed with savory, cheesy flavors, tender pieces of chicken thighs, and al dente linguine. The result is a luscious, silky-smooth pasta to make any night of the week.
Before you start cooking, I’ll fill you in on the best ingredient swaps if you don’t have everything on hand. Plus, how to make a low-carb version of this recipe that has all the same, comforting flavors.
And be sure to read the bit below about how I always make sure my chicken is as tender and juicy as possible.
Hungry yet? Here are all my best Tips & Tricks for the best chicken alfredo pasta recipe.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta With Alfredo Sauce – Best Tips & Tricks
1. Which ingredients can we change in this chicken mushroom pasta recipe?
There are a few easy ingredient swaps that will still make the most delicious creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with alfredo sauce.
First, you can use any kind of pasta, including ziti, penne, rotini noodles, pappardelle, ravioli, rigatoni, tagliatelle, cannelloni, pappardelle, or spaghetti. If you use a different kind of pasta, keep the liquid to pasta ratio the same as in the recipe, but you may need to adjust the cooking time based on the package directions.
As for mushrooms, feel free to use your favorites, such as porcini, portobellos, shiitake, oyster, or king oyster.
You can also swap out the proteins. Substitute chicken with shrimp, bacon, or sausage. If using shrimp, cook it until just pink and opaque, about 4 minutes total. If using bacon or sausage, cook until golden brown.
You can even make this mushroom alfredo pasta dish vegetarian by replacing the chicken with veggies, such as chopped asparagus.
Vegetarian or not, there are dozens of tasty and colorful vegetables that you can add to this chicken mushroom pasta recipe such as spinach, squash, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, and more. Simply chop the veggies into bite-sized pieces and cook until crisp-tender after cooking the chicken or other protein.
2. Best way to cook the chicken for creamy mushroom pasta
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how I always prepare chicken for creamy alfredo pasta:
- First, chop the chicken thighs into small bite-sized pieces.
- Next, season them all over with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet* heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the chicken and sauté, until golden and cooked through. This should take about 5 min.
Finally, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
You can also use leftover chicken or turkey for this creamy mushroom pasta recipe. Chop the meat into bite-sized pieces and stir it into the sauce along with the pasta just before serving.
3. Can you make this mushroom and chicken alfredo pasta low carb?
Absolutely! Instead of linguine, use spaghetti squash for a low-carb, keto-friendly chicken and mushroom alfredo.
If you go this route, reduce the liquid to 1 cup of broth, as spaghetti squash contains a fair bit of water.
For best results, roast a whole spaghetti squash using the instructions below, then add the cooked strands into your cheesy sauce with the chicken and mushrooms.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Drizzle the inside of the squash with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the spaghetti squash cut side down on the baking sheet*. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on the outside and fork-tender. The time will vary depending on the size of your squash.
- Remove from the oven and flip, then allow it to cool until ready to handle. Using a fork, scrape, and fluff the flesh strands from the sides of the squash.
4. How to make the chicken tender
To make sure your chicken comes out perfectly tender, follow these simple steps:
- If you have time, marinate the chopped chicken thighs in a coating of oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice before cooking. Cover and allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Let the chicken come to room temperature before adding it to the pan.
- Preheat the pan for several minutes over medium-high heat. The pan should be pretty hot before adding the chicken.
5. Is this chicken alfredo pasta recipe good for meal planning?
Yes, this creamy chicken mushroom pasta with alfredo sauce is great for meal planning.
You can start by making a big batch of this mushroom and chicken alfredo pasta. Let it cool to room temperature, then pack it into single-serving containers*. The dish will stay fresh in the fridge for up to three days.
I do not recommend freezing the pasta, as cooked pasta does not reheat well from frozen.
Alternatively, you can cook the chicken mushrooms and sauce, and refrigerate it in single-serving containers until ready to serve. Before serving, you can cook the pasta and add it to your dish.
That’s all for today, my dear foodies. I hope you put all of these tricks to use to make this mushroom and chicken alfredo pasta recipe.
Now it’s time to cook it, snap a few shots, and post them on Instagram. Be sure to tag me @theblondelish.
And if you like this chicken mushroom pasta recipe video and want to see more like it, Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
- Garlic Shrimp Scampi With Angel Hair Pasta
- Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta Recipe Video
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta With Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 12 oz (340g) linguine pasta
- 1 lb (453g) chicken thighs - boneless skinless
- Sea salt and black pepper - to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil - divided
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1-3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 lb (453g) button mushrooms - quartered
- 1 3/4 cup (420ml) chicken stock or broth
- 3/4 cup (180ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (50g) ground parmesan
- 1/4 cup (15g) parsley - finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Place a large pot of water over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tbsp sea salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
- Chop the chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and sauté until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the hot pan.
- Sauté, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and simmer over medium-low heat for 8-10 min, until reduced by half.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan and mix until melted and creamy.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and sprinkle with parsley.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the cooked pasta.
- Tip #1 includes simple ingredient substitutions that you can make in this chicken mushroom pasta recipe.
- See the step-by-step instructions for cooking the chicken at Tip #2.
- If you want to make this dish low-carb, see how in Tip #3.
- Tip #5 includes my secret for the most tender chicken.
- If you're a meal prepper, then you'll want to see how to include this mushroom and chicken alfredo pasta in your meal plan in Tip #5. This is one of the best chicken alfredo pasta recipes for meal planning so don't skip it.
*This post may contain affiliate links