Easy Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
This easy vegan shepherd's pie recipe is the perfect main course for fancy holiday dinners and weeknight meals alike. You can also make it in an Instant Pot and it's great for meal prep.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 16 oz (450g) fresh mixed mushrooms chopped
- fresh chopped herbs to taste (I used 1 sprig of rosemary, thyme, and sage)
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups veggie broth
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (I used Annie's naturals)
- 6 (about 2 Lb / 900 g) Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3.5 fl. oz (100ml) non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot* and fill it with water enough to cover them. Place the pot on the stovetop over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, then drain. Add in the vegan butter and using a potato masher*, mash until fluffy. Season with sea salt and pepper, to your taste. Put the lid back on to keep the mashed potatoes warm until ready to use. Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot* over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 more minutes.
Stir in the flour, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste.
Pour in the wine and using a silicone spatula*, scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and cook until the wine is reduced by half.
Add in broth and mix well to dissolve the flour and to start forming the gravy.
Add in herbs and lower the heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
Add in frozen peas and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Turn the heat off and spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the stew.
Transfer the pot to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until bubbly, then broil for 2-3 minutes until nice and golden on top.
Let it cool a bit, then garnish with more fresh herbs, serve and enjoy!
Please read the Tips & Tricks in the article before making this homemade shepherd's pie recipe. Below it's just a summary:
- Check out Tip #1 to see what are the best herbs and spices for vegan shephard's pie.
- You can make this healthy shepherd's pie with any mushrooms but I recommend you to use big meaty varieties such as portobello, cremini, button, porcini, or king oyster mushrooms. See more at Tip #2.
- See how to make the vegan mashed potatoes taste incredibly delish at Tip #3.
- For best flavor, infuse the gravy with aromatic veggies like onions, carrots, and celery, and add a bit of red wine. More on this at Tip #4.
- See how to make this homemade shepherd's pie in an Instant Pot at Tip #5.
- If you want to make it for meal prep, check out Tip #6.
- If you're looking for sides to go with vegetarian shepherd's pie check out Tip #7.
Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 520mg | Potassium: 1477mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4694IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 8mg