Easy Veggie Burger Recipe (Vegan & Healthy)
This homemade veggie burger recipe is easy, healthy, vegan and super delish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 small cauliflower head (about 5 cups florets)
- 4 Tbsp oil divided
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 Tbsp water
Preheat the oven to 350˚F/180˚C and line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Cut the cauliflower into florets, and place them into the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with spices, salt & pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Mix with your hands to get everything nicely coated. Roast for 20-25 minutes, then let it cool.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ground flax and water and stir until thoroughly combined.
Place the roasted cauliflower into a food processor together with chickpeas, garlic, parsley, ground almonds and flax mixture. Pulse until well combined and sticky. You might need to stop and scrape the sides of the food processor a couple of times. Be careful not to overdo the mixture; we don't want it too mushy, a little texture is great.
Take about 1/3 cup of mixture and, using your hands, form a burger patty. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Heat the remaining oil in an ovenproof pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers for about 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides, then place them in the preheated oven and bake for an additional 15-17 minutes.
Spread mashed avocado on the lower bun, add the patty, then your favorite toppings, set the top bun and enjoy!
Please read the Tips & Tricks in the article before making this easy veggie burger recipe. Below is just a summary:
- You can make the veggie patties for the vegan burger with any of the following ingredients: sweet potato, beans, quinoa, mushrooms (portobello, button), cauliflower. They all go well with the toppings in this vegan veggie burger.
- If you go for the cauliflower patty as per the recipe, it's worth noting that you can roast the cauliflower well ahead. So when you need to make the vegan burger, you'll just have to throw the ingredients in the food processor and make the patties.
- You can make a large batch of roasted cauliflower and use part of it for other dishes as well. It goes well in salads or as a side dish.
- If you make the veggie burger patties ahead, make sure you place parchment paper between them when stored in containers, so they won't stick to each other.
- See Tip #2 in the article for a list of sides that you can serve with vegan burgers.
- If you want to add or replace ingredients in this healthy vegan veggie burger recipe check out Tip #3 in the article.