Vegan Tikka Masala Recipe (With Tofu And Cauliflower)
This vegan tikka masala recipe takes about 30 minutes to make, it's healthy and it's at least as delicious as the meatful version.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 pack (16 Oz / 450g) extra firm tofu drained and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (15 Oz. / 435g) tomato sauce
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups diced gold potatoes chopped into small cubes
- Sea salt and Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnishing
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
Tikka Masala Seasoning Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or to taste
Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
In a small bowl, mix well all ingredients for the tikka masala seasoning.
Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes, add in half of the tikka masala seasoning mixture and drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Mix until evenly coated. (If time allows, refrigerate for at least 1 hour).
Place the marinated tofu into a baking pan, making sure you leave enough space between the pieces and bake for 15-20 minutes until it gets slightly dark brown on the edges. Heat the remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat, then sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, bell peppers, until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add in the remaining spice mixture and cook for 30 seconds, just until they start to release their flavors, stirring constantly.
Stir in water, tomato puree, coconut milk, mushrooms, cauliflower and potatoes.
Place the lid on and lower the heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies are fork tender and all flavors are blended.
Stir in frozen peas, roasted tofu and season with salt and pepper, to your taste. Simmer for another 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and Enjoy!
Please read the Tips & Tricks in the article before making this healthy vegan tikka masala recipe. Below is just a summary:
- You can make it without tofu and cauliflower, but you will lose much of the nutrients content. These two ingredients are rich in protein and fiber which makes them perfect meat replacements.
- You can make this vegan tofu recipe with your favorite veggies. Just make sure to cut them into bite-sized pieces, especially the ones that usually take longer to cook. And here are some good ideas: sweet potato, broccoli, zucchini, butternut squash, cabbage, eggplant, Brussels sprouts
- If you're not vegan, you can serve it with roast chicken and a dollop of yogurt. Also, you can serve it with Basmati rice and Naan bread.