Pumpkin Chicken Curry With Coconut Milk
This pumpkin chicken curry recipe takes just 25 minutes to make. It's super easy, made in an Instant Pot, and incredibly delicious.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1.5 lb (700g) chicken tenders/fillets chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 lb (900g) pumpkin peeled, seeded and diced into 1"/2.5cm chunks
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 red chili chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 3 tsp mild curry powder
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup stock
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free flour or cornstarch
- 1 can (15oz/400 ml) coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- red chili thinly sliced, to garnish
- Handful fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- cooked brown/wild rice, warm naan bread
Set your Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Add the oil, onion, garlic, ginger and chili, and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions turn translucent.
Stir in the chicken, pumpkin, stock, tomato paste and curry.
Press CANCEL then secure the lid and SEAL the vent. Press the MANUAL (older models) or PRESSURE COOK (newer models) button and set on HIGH for 10 minutes.
Once the time has passed, manually release the pressure by switching from seal to VENT.
Once the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid. Then turn the SAUTE mode on.
In a small bowl, whisk coconut milk and gluten-free flour until well combined. Add it into the pot together with lime juice and season with salt and pepper, to your taste. Simmer for 3-4 minutes to slightly thicken the sauce, stirring frequently. Turn OFF the saute mode.Garnish with chili and fresh cilantro and Enjoy!
Please read the tips and tricks in the article above before making this easy pumpkin curry recipe. Below is just a summary:
- You can also make this pumpkin chicken curry recipe in a slow cooker (see how at tip #1)
- You can make this easy chicken curry recipe on a stovetop (see how at tip #2)
- Serve this creamy chicken curry with cooked brown or wild rice, warm naan bread or cauliflower rice.
- This easy chicken curry recipe is perfect for meal planning. You can make a large batch and refrigerate it in ovenproof glass containers for up to 5 days, or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
- You can use the following types of pumpkin: Kabocha, Kent, Jap pumpkin, Butternut squash. And you can replace the chicken tenders with breast or thighs.