This Turkey Burger is perfect if you are trying to reduce your carb intake.
How good is it to spoil oneself with delicious food, good wine, and quality time spent with our loved one?! But then the healthy diet issue pops out. Is it gluten-free? Does it have too many carbs? Too many calories??
They say we can’t have it all and that we need to sacrifice taste in favor of healthy if we want that much desired slim waist. Well, I can’t wait to prove them wrong, because I refuse to give up on taste or my slim waist.
And that’s why I made this deeelicious turkey burger with portobello mushrooms, baked aubergines, and Sriracha sauce. This healthy recipe is perfect for us, the ones that won’t settle for less and really want it all.
You might seem a little surprised to see it’s not in a bun. Admittedly, it’s not the classic burger we all love, but trust me when I say it’s even better and low on carbs. This recipe came as a life saver when I was on a diet, ‘cause I was literally craving for a delicious burger. It has half the calories of a normal burger because I removed the bread and used turkey instead of beef. It’s filled with veggies which although I love them in salads, I kind of love them better in a burger.
Since it’s so light and healthy, why not pair it with a glass of red wine and share it with your loved ones. “Oh yeah, it can’t get better that this”, said the blonde foodie in me.
So that’s my way of enjoying life’s goodies while keeping a slim waist. What’s yours?
How to make a Turkey Burger
Low carb turkey burger
- 500 g turkey thigh mince
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilly flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- maldon salt flakes
- 1 large egg
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 big aubergine
- 1 big onion
- 4 slices of smoked cheese
- Sriracha sauce
- a handful of Rocket salad
- Heat the oven at 180C.
- Cut the aubergine and onion into 2 cm rings. Place them on a baking tray together with the portobello mushrooms. Then drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt & Cayenne pepper. Bake them for 15 minutes.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in bowl until everything is perfectly blended. Take a handful of mixture (about 60g), roll it between your palms forming a meat ball and then press it to get that nice burger shape. Repeat the process until you have 8 turkey burgers.
- Heat a cast iron pan and cook the burgers for 3 minutes, then flip, put the cheese on top and cook for 2 more minutes.
To build your burger, place a portobello mushroom at the base, a roasted aubergine, then 2 turkey burgers, a slice of tomato and a roasted onion ring. Top it with rocket salad and Sriracha sauce.
Try this Turkey Burger Recipe and if you like it, why not rate it in the comments section below, so it will reach more awesome foodies like yourself